cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no fibre?

Incredibledisc

Why no fibre?

After BT finally got around to upgrading our exchange to Fibre I decided to take the plunge and change my account. Called up customer services and had a package sorted out quickly, new router despatched and an activation date for 16th February. Plugged everything in as instructed and reset all my wifi devices (laptop, two iPhones, iPad and Amazon Fire box) to the new router and everything seemed to set up quickly and painlessly.
However, I soon noticed that video streaming etc didn't seem any better than my previous bog standard broadband. Ok, I thought, it says on the connection guide that it might take ten days or so for your connection to settle. Ten days came and went with no noticeable improvement. I decided to reset the router as per troubleshooting instructions to see if that was the issue - no change. I started logging the speeds and submitted a question to the support page and got this back:
"Account has been changed to fibre, however, cant find the order and Fibre is Not available. Please amend account."
My bill has come in this week and I'm still being charged for a Fibre service. Every BT cabinet in the village is boasting of how fibre is here but apparently Plusnet can't find it - what's going on?

8 REPLIES 8
Starmans
Grafter

Re: Why no fibre?

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
Enter your phone number should tell you if your line is able to order FTTC.
Incredibledisc

Cheers. Just put my number in and this is what I got.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Logon to your router, go to the Troubleshooting/Helpdesk tab and post the results. minus any personal details like your logon and SSID.
Incredibledisc

I logged on to my hub which tells me that everything is working fine. I'm connected to the internet, the light is blue etc. The problem is that I'm not on a fibre connection. I was told when I switched accounts that there would be no need to have a BT engineer come out to connect me to the fibre network - I'm wondering if that was maybe misinformation.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Incredibledisc
The problem is that I'm not on a fibre connection.
How do you know? The hub supports both ADSL and FTTC I believe so you could be on either. If you could do what the previous poster asked:
go to the Troubleshooting/Helpdesk tab and post the results

It would confirm whether you are on fibre or not. One possibility is simply that PN haven't updated your profile so their system thinks you are still on ADSL and is throttling the speeds. Sadly it's something that happens a lot when people migrate from ADSL to FTTC and stay with PN. Hopefully that's all it is in which case it should be easy to correct.
And no, there is no longer any need for an engineer to come out.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I was told when I switched accounts that there would be no need to have a BT engineer come out to connect me to the fibre network - I'm wondering if that was maybe misinformation.

Nope, we provide fibre via self install now, so no engineer visits your premises.
However, I also can't find any order on the wholesale systems to modify you to a fibre service. The difference is I can see that it's available, so I'll go and get that placed asap.
I'll update your ticket shortly with some more information.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Incredibledisc

Thank you Chris. I see you have responded to my troubleshooting query and have arranged to have a fibre connection in place by the end of the month.  Thank you also for arranging a refund for the additional charges I have paid for the service. Not sure what went wrong with the initial order but glad that it's going to be resolved soon.
Incredibledisc

Quote from: Andrue
The problem is that I'm not on a fibre connection.
How do you know? The hub supports both ADSL and FTTC I believe so you could be on either. If you could do what the previous poster asked:
go to the Troubleshooting/Helpdesk tab and post the results

It would confirm whether you are on fibre or not. One possibility is simply that PN haven't updated your profile so their system thinks you are still on ADSL and is throttling the speeds. Sadly it's something that happens a lot when people migrate from ADSL to FTTC and stay with PN. Hopefully that's all it is in which case it should be easy to correct.
And no, there is no longer any need for an engineer to come out.

Thanks for your input. Logging into the router did show I am currently on an ADSL connection. Plusnet have been in touch to confirm that there has been some sort of balls up and that the connection is going to be upgraded properly this time.