cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is plusnet fibre rubbish

herman1234

Why is plusnet fibre rubbish

I would like to know why plusnet is so behind the other providers the fibre is so slow can't get it in garden or in the back bedroom when I was with sky I got it everywhere even about I might just go back to sky
8 REPLIES 8
khile
Grafter

Re: Why is plusnet fibre rubbish

That will be down to router what router do you have the new hub one?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

DJColinCook
Dabbler

To be fair I've had reasonable speeds from fibre until recently. the problem is that the PlusNet support team simply wont help - they just recycle the same old rhetoric instead of fixing faults.
But your problem isnt your fibre it's your wi-fi as it is location dependant. The standard PlusNet router is a bit pants and the wi-fi is awful on it. I also moved from sky (big regret) and their router had excellent Wi-Fi reception. Problem is - PlusNet tell you that if you buy your own router they wont offer support, well that's what they told me. I'm still thinking of buying a decent router though as everything else in my house is gigabit and the PlusNet router is only 100mb/s
Apparently there is a new plusnet router how which is a rebranded BT Home Hub. Might be better if you can get one though the only news about it I've read is that it is only available to new fibre customers.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: DJColinCook
PlusNet tell you that if you buy your own router they wont offer support, well that's what they told me.

Plusnet would not offer direct support for a router they didn't supply but they do still support every other aspect of the service.  As long as you keep the Plusnet router just in case you have a fault and need to plug it in for troubleshooting the support issue is no longer a problem.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Rippong
Grafter

Exactly as above. Once it's working, what support do you need?
If there is a problem, go back to the Plusnet supplied kit if you need to call/diagnostics and there is no problem.
I've had my Asus working since I joined Plusnet and I've never needed support.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Also, this forum is usually a great source of unofficial support.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dannyboy75
Rising Star

As above, just buy a better router - problem solved.
You don't have to break the bank to do so, and pretty much anything will be better than what you have now. ISP-supplied routers are generally pretty lame.
Passmestick

or alternatively get a wireless extender, at about 30 quid money well spent.
I recently got the D-Link DAP 1520, works a treat.
Cheers