cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my current speed less than estimated?

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Why is my current speed less than estimated?

Was upgraded from ADSL on 28/12
Speed tests show around 35/10 but my account information states:
Estimated line speed:
40Mb (This may vary between 39Mb and 55Mb) - Checked on 2017-12-08 14:12:38
Current line speed:
35.2 Mb
Is this to be expected or is there a problem?
4 REPLIES 4
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Why is my current speed less than estimated?

That looks alright to me.
On the 40/10 fibre unlimited I believe the highest you'll hit is upto 38mb.
Estimates states how fast your line is capable of I believe because i know from dsl checker my line is capable of 44mb
My stats
Estimated line speed:
40Mb (This may vary between 32Mb and 44Mb) - Checked on 2017-12-23 03:13:46
Current line speed:
37 Mb
Excellent!
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Unfortunately It is only an estimate and you're not a million miles from it. Crosstalk / line condition can also drop the speed. For instance, once I use to sync at 78Mb but now 69Mb seems to be the max for me. Occasionally DLM will alter it to 72.4 but after a week or so it drifts back down to around 68/69 again. I haven't moved but more people have been connected to the cabinet. It's been slightly worse the last week or so..... must be all those shiny new online games!

If the speed was to drop, say down to the low 30's, it might be worth getting PN to check but 35.2Mb isn't bad. You might even find that DLM increases it over the next week or so (might even decrease it) to maintain a stable connection. And I have whinged about DLM over the years but it seems to have matured of late, being more active (certainly on my line) over the past 6 months.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks both

Racalman
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I upgraded to FTTC last August with an estimated speed of 35-40Mbps. I got 22Mbps with an SNR margin of 9dB.

After previously having less than 3Mbps on Plusnet ADSL I was happy with that, and it remained constant until some time over Christmas, when the SNR margin dropped to 6dB and my connection speed rose to 30Mbps. My router reports an attainable speed of 38Mbps so maybe there's scope for even more improvement.

Perhaps you just have to be patient ...