Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Why have you lowered my speed?

@NorthPole thanks for clearing that up.

jt
Grafter

Hi guys, just want to ask two questions.

First question, is it possible to have two master sockets on one line? 

Second question, can you have a master socket moved to a different area in the house, if so how much does it cost?

Thanks, didn't want to make a new topic, plus I wouldn't know which section to put it in.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

So quick answers:

1. No, you can't have two master sockets - there is a clue in the name 😉

2. Yes it could be moved, however PN would need to ask Openreach to do it, and costs are not cheap.

It might be easier/cheaper/better to have a look in your local ads for an ex BT engineer and have a chat with him and explain what it is you are trying to achieve. Or even mention it on here. Peoples needs have changed so much over the last 10/20 years, so unless you have a very modern house, master sockets tend to be in the wrong place for the most bandwidth demanding devices, ie your TV/SKY/PN TV boxes, but there are solutions that can help such as Home Plugs/WiFi adapters, or just putting Cat6 to every room!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I don't think it's possible to have 2 master sockets on one line, however if you would like us to move your master socket, we can arrange an internal shift for you. We would pass on the engineer charge of £160 to you, though.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jt
Grafter

Thanks 

jt
Grafter

Problem hasn't been sorted even after engineer's visit, might be due to degradation of line, which is annoying as it was installed less than a few years ago. 

Options are move to another provider (what's the point? BT has an annoying monopoly on all providers, other than Virgin media, but my town isn't a priority), pay for the line to be fixed, don't see why I should have to or go on a lower package, I may as well pay less for less, rather than pay more for less.

Not happy.

Thanks Anoush for replying to my ticket and forum messages.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Did the Engineer do anything to try and solve the issue ie put you on a new pair to the cab,  DLM reset anything ? or did he / she just tell you it was down to a degrading line so they didn't have to do any work sadly some do do that.

If he / she did nothing, I would ask for another engineer visit hopefully you will get one that can be bothered.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

The sync speed had increased to about 62 Mbps which is on target for the speed estimate. The estimate used to be quite high earlier in the year, but for some reason it's fallen by about 10 Mbps. This can happen and unfortunately there's little we can do. Sad

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Lurch
Rising Star

You can have multiple master sockets on a line with no detrimental effects. 2 shouldn't be an issue, if you had 6, or 10 maybe you may notice some slight signal changes but 2 would be no issue whatsoever.

If you want to move your router you can install an extension socket, any reputable telephone engineer/local electrician can fit one for a reasonable sum (less than half of the OR cost of £160, maybe even 1/4 depending where you are in the country).

I really would have expected the PN staff to either give the correct answers to questions or not answer at all if they have no idea.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Lurch wrote:

You can have multiple master sockets on a line with no detrimental effects.

While it's possible to have more than one socket, anything past the Master socket would be an extension socket or otherwise secondary socket. While the additional wiring may not have any detrimental effects, it could certainly cause problems. If we were to send an engineer out to investigate a fault, the engineer would only test at the master socket and not necessarily any extension sockets.

Quite often I've heard of engineers disconnecting customers extension sockets, during installations(Mainly when fibre required an install)/fault investigations, to ensure it's not causing problems

@Lurch wrote:

...any reputable telephone engineer/local electrician can fit one for a reasonable sum...

...I really would have expected the PN staff to either give the correct answers to questions or not answer at all if they have no idea.

While I'm sure a local electrician can carry out the work, that doesn't necessarily mean they should carry out the work.

I don't see anything wrong with the response Anoush gave.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@Lurch wrote:

You can have multiple master sockets on a line with no detrimental effects. 2 shouldn't be an issue, if you had 6, or 10 maybe you may notice some slight signal changes but 2 would be no issue whatsoever.

The only way you can have multiple master sockets is a star wired configuration which is notorious for causing problems with broadband

Lurch
Rising Star

While it's possible to have more than one socket, anything past the Master socket would be an extension socket or otherwise secondary socket.

Not quite, yes anything past the master socket is an extension socket but a master socket cannot be a secondary socket, they are 2 entirely different things.

Not entirely sure what the faulty wiring scenarios have to with anything though, I was referring to having correctly installed extension sockets fitted.

I don't see anything wrong with the response Anoush gave.

Other than the fact it isn't actually correct.

The only way you can have multiple master sockets is a star wired configuration which is notorious for causing problems with broadband

I'm pretty sure you have just made that up, that is not in the slightest bit correct/true/accurate.

jt
Grafter

He confirmed that my speed was 60Mbps even though a previous engineer has told me the line is a clear 76Mbps, it wasn't until this week things got worse with errors, disconnections and slower speed.

I asked him politely to go to the green box just round the corner and he said he would ring/check-in with me if there was a problem, didn't receive either, so it must all be my fault and in my head.

Really annoyed, I've been a customer for over 3 years and to be told "There's nothing we can really do" is so irrating after over 6 months of paying for Fibre Extra and actually getting 9MB/s downloads once is disheartening, no idea who gives plusnet awards for customer service.

Shame all over providers have bad reviews, the only reason I'm staying is because I can get through to an English call centre, instead of an offshore one, that's it, no other reason.

jt
Grafter

I've come back to fibre extra, didn't realise that since moving onto fibre extra that fibre unlimited has had its upload speed significantly lowered since when I was on last year.

Now my profile is stuck at 40/2, product was changed back to extra this morning.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@Lurch wrote:

I'm pretty sure you have just made that up, that is not in the slightest bit correct/true/accurate.

@Lurch

Just realised I hadn't replied to this

My reasoning was fairly simple in that star wired systems in a domestic environment are usually rather old and had the ring wires all connected. It is generally accepted that the ring wire can create problems with ADSL because it acts as an aerial and as a star wired system has a lot more ring wires it can cause even more problems

I refer you to this http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

What is the ring wire?

The "ringwire" or bell wire was traditionally used for pulse dialling systems to transmit the ringing tone to telephones when your phone rings.
Most modern phones use tone dialling and/or electronic ringers and therefore do not require this connection to be present, and will still ring if the ring wire is disconnected.

Why remove the ring wire?

Unfortunately, the ring wire can also act as an antenna, picking up interference from other electrical equipment in and around the house.

It is often found that disconnecting the ring wire improves the stability of a connection, sometimes considerably, especially on "star" wired telephone systems.