cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why have you lowered my speed?

jt
Grafter

Why have you lowered my speed?

Why has my speed drastically gone down as of late when I was getting better speeds before? Have I been capped?

30 REPLIES 30
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Why have you lowered my speed?

@jt

Are you still using the same modem/router on Plusnet as you used for your BT connection?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jt
Grafter

No, the modem I was offered kept disconnecting and running slower, I tried getting a new one, BT said they don't carry them on their person and Plusnet kept telling me to get one from BT so sick of being toyed around I opted for an all in one solution.

Everything has been fine up until now, I haven't updated it or changed any settings, it seems plusnet has just reduced my profile, it is nowhere near what I was getting before, I'm wondering why I'm paying more for speeds that are no different from the lower package?

Getting really sick of Plusnet...

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Shame your old kit used on BT wasn't working, just thought it might help as some people have swapped their BT supplied kit when changing to Plusnet and that change alone has been an issue for them.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jt
Grafter

I was given it by a BT guy, he said it was a random one from his van as Plusnet were supposed to send me one, which they never did, guessing his was an old faulty one...

I've been with Plusnet for over 3 years now, don't know why I've stayed as they never seem to sort any of my problems out, had nothing but problems moving to Fibre Extra.

Thanks for helping me though, I'll see if someone from Plusnet replies tomorrow, I doubt they will, this'll be swept under the carpet. Thinking of buying myself out of my contract and going with a different provider, perhaps one who can sort things out properly?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

So what equipment do you have connected? Maybe you have a fault on the line. Can you post the Helpdesk page on the troubleshooting tab from your Hub, deleting any personal information such as your username and SSID.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there JT. Sorry to hear you're experiencing speed problems with your service. From the screenshots you've posted here, your sync rate is 56 Mbps, giving you a profile of 52 Mbps which explains why your throughput is also low.
Providing the speed estimate data in the screenshot is accurate (you can cross reference this by going to http://www.dslchecker.bt.com ) I would recommend following the steps in the broadband troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net where you can complete it for us to investigate further for you.
Hope this helps
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jt
Grafter

Hello 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for getting back to me.
If you PM me your fault ticket number or username I'll take a look when I'm in the office this afternoon.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jt
Grafter

Hi Anoush, I sent you a PM, If you get time to look into it that'd be great, thanks.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re your modem/router settings, I thought Annex A was for the North American market, Annex B was european.

jt
Grafter

Just had a look and there's only A and A/L/M.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for getting back to me, JT. I've updated your fault ticket for you.

jt
Grafter

Hi Anoush, thanks for looking at my ticket and replying the same day much appreciated.

I've updated the fault ticket, put the wire through a micro filter and into the master socket, still getting slower speeds and errors.

Thanks again.
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

@Mustrum wrote:

Re your modem/router settings, I thought Annex A was for the North American market, Annex B was european.

I was confused about that when I switched to fibre - but this page on the Kitz forum:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14399.105.html

explains very clearly that BTOR use an Annex B bandplan over Annex A infrastructure. It appears Annex B infrastructure is ISDN as used in e.g. Germany.

Certainly my Asus router shows me as having an Annex A connection - even if I set the router to use Annex B!