cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why have my WiFi download speeds dropped from the 60-70Mbps range to 20-30Mbps range?

Jamesw1976
Dabbler

Why have my WiFi download speeds dropped from the 60-70Mbps range to 20-30Mbps range?

Hopefully someone here can help me out.

I joined Plusnet in Sep last year as my local area had just got superfast and they had the best deals going at the time. I was very happy my download speed beforehand maxed out at around 14 Mbps and Plusnet estimated between 67Mb and 80Mb with a guarantee of 59.5Mbs. My master socket is on the windowsill in the kitchen so all my readings (bar one) are done over Wifi.

I saw an immediate jump up to 42Mbs and was promised that over a few weeks that would improve. I clocked it at 66.5 a few weeks later and 72 the following week and then never bothered to check it again.

In April I had some issues with the line disconnecting all the time and in May, after running some tests Plusnet sent me out a new modem. I swapped the old one out and went on holiday for a fortnight and when I came back the line was stable. I never actually checked the download speed at this time.

Then about a month back things stated to go slow and I thought I'd check my speed again. 25th of the 7th down to 25.4Mbps on the 26th I was down to 16.7 Mbps.  So I checked all the lines. Disconnected the modem, rebooted etc etc. I made it up to 29Mbps on the 6th of Aug. So again I checked all the lines. Disconnected the modem, rebooted etc etc.

I have run the speed test 3 times this morning. 28.5, 31.6 and 21.9.

I did physically connect my laptop to the modem and check the wired speed. That gives me 56.4Mbs.

Below are the results from the BT Checker.

My simple question is why have my WiFi download speeds dropped from the 60-70Mbps range to 20-30Mbps range?

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 76.4 54.5 20 13.9 46.4 Available Available --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 62.5 39.8 17.4 9.3 30.8 Available Available --
1 REPLY 1
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Why have my WiFi download speeds dropped from the 60-70Mbps range to 20-30Mbps range?

Do two things:

1. Separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950 try each band in turn and use the best

2. Try a different wifi channel by going into  the router advanced wifi settings and try a different one. Even better download a free sniffer app, I use Wifi Analyser on an Android phone. With this you can see which channels are being used by your neighbours. Check transmissions where you use the wifi signal as well as at the router and use this information to choose the best channel to manually use.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'