Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has my speed dropped ?

gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Why has my speed dropped ?

I am supposed to be on the 55/20 package and have averaged 44/14 for quite a few months but in the last few weeks my upload speed is roughly the same but my download has dropped and settled to just below 38 Mb/s.

I've included the chart from samknows to show what has happened.

Since I have not changed anything I can only assume that something/someone on Plusnets side has changed my package.

Could someone look into this please.

Ty

Regards

Gerwyn

Edit: Ok not sure what is going on, just done a BT speed test (twice) and got the following results:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 82.92 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-40.36 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 40.36 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 10.62Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Something definitely weird going on

21 REPLIES 21
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Why has my speed dropped ?

Hi there, 

I've just looked into this and we've not made any changes. 

I can see the speed profile has changed in line with BTW's but that's currently at 40200kbps 

I suggest trying the checks here as your next port of call: https://goo.gl/tu2WWu

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
gtowen
Rising Star

Only 4 months to go to the end of my contract and then I'll be off. I know my speed is been deliberately capped and getting tired of been fobbed off and lied to. Plusnet are learning the BT way of doing business and excelling at it. Sad

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @gtowen,

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see that you've been having this experience.

I can assure you that we haven't been deliberately capping your speed or lying to you in relation to your account, however, I can certainly appreciate you feeling that way.

I've made a couple of changes to your line, to see if a couple of minor tweaks can pick those speeds up for you as we are seeing that you're only getting 40.2mbps, with your line estimates being 47.5 - 67mbps.

Please reboot the router and let us know if you see a difference in the speeds you're receiving.

gtowen
Rising Star

@OskarPapa

I have rebooted the router but there has been no significant change so far. As to "you're only getting 40.2mbps", I haven't seen that speed for a long time. That is what has been set at the exchange. I have included the samknows graph for the last 12 months and you can see why I think my speed is been capped/throttled in some way.

For the first 6 months i had a steady speed of around 44 Mb/s, which I had accepted as the best possible speed for my line. Then for some unknown reason the speed drops to just under 38 Mb/s. This speed is steady for the next 4-5 months before becoming a little erratic in the last few months.

The fact the speed is so consistent over a long period of time does not suggest a line fault, but does suggest the speed is been capped or throttled in some way either by Plusnet or BT at the exchange. So when I'm told there's nothing wrong here I consider that a lie, and not what i am paying for.

I have done the quiet test and there are no abnormal noises on the line. I have done speed tests using the BTW site but those results are down right strange when I get varying speeds from 80 Mb/s down to 10 Mb/s. The only reliable info I have is the samknows charts.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/7VUE11g.png[/img]

I have been with Plusnet quite a few years now but with the significant drop in standards, the 30 mins plus wait to speak to someone on the phone, the refrain of "there's nothing wrong" when there is obviously is a problem makes me consider moving to another isp. I don't mind jumping through hoops doing tests to diagnose the problem, but I don't expect to have to jump through hoops to convince a Plusnet rep there is a problem.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi gtowen, 

It's a case that we need to gain evidence of an issue, we don't need to be convinced or persuaded as we've no interest in refusing to help when there is a problem. 

I've just performed diagnostics on your line and they don't highlight any issues, that's not to say that there isn't one. 

Getting some speed tests performed at the time speeds have dropped would be the best thing to do next. Please try www.speedtest.btwholesale.com if that doesn't work out as it can sometimes be prone to issues I'd try the thinkbroadband speed tester. 

Do keep us posted. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
gtowen
Rising Star

@adamwalker "Getting some speed tests performed at the time speeds have dropped would be the best thing to do next. "

You still seem to be missing the point and deflecting from the issue. I am not suffering random speed drops due to some unknown fault. My speed was consistent for 6 months before, for some unknown reason it dropped, hence my opening this thread in the first place.

Having dropped, the speed was then steady for another 5 months. Since I have not change anything it's only logical that something external has been changed, like my ip profile at the exchange for instance, which regulates attainable speed. This has been lowered to 40.2 and hence puts a cap on any speed my line could attain.

I know this is done automatically when there is a problem, but up to that time my line speed was steady so no need for a drop. Plus, after 5 months if this was part of the automation why has the ip profile not returned to it's initial value.

As to the BTW speedtest I don't trust the results since it has given me results varying from 80 MB/s to 10 MB/s. Speedtest.net, thinkbroadband speedtest and which speedtest all give similar results of 34 - 36 Mb/s which is consistent with the samknows graph I added previously.

I think it would be more prudent for you to check and find out who or what changed my ip profile last May and why it has not returned to the higher value. As you say there is no obvious fault on my line so my speed has to be capped/throttled somehow.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry for any confusion and inconvenience caused.

The IP profile is actually determined by the rate your modem is syncing to the cabinet at and it is 96.7% of your sync rate. .So in your case you are currently syncing at 41.9Mbps so your IP profile should be around 41.7mbps

I can confirm there's no caps in place on your account as your current profile is "0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off". With regards to what has caused your speeds to drop I'm afraid I can't give a exact cause as our tests aren't finding any issue.

To investigate further I would recommend raising a fault here so we can investigate further and potentially get a engineer out if needs be

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
gtowen
Rising Star

@MatthewWheeler I have attempted to comply with your request and started the troubleshooter, but this failed at the 3 BTW speedtest, which tbh is a joke.

My first speed test gave results of 8 MB/s down and 8 Mb/s up.

It would not let me do another test, showing the following message:

"The Tap1 test was not conclusive for your broadband connection. However if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."

Thinkbroadband actually gave similar results:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1541691381445465255

and yet my samknows graph shows a slight increase over the last 2 days:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/B1oHxNq.png[/img]

And so what next ?

Edit: Just did another BTW test which gave result of 80 Mb/s download but wouldn't let me do further diagnosis with the above mesage about Tap 1 test.

Another thinkbroadband test gives the normal result I have been seeing since May, 34-36 Mb/s

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1541693938301679955

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @gtowen,

I think there's definitely a problem here. The fault you raised failed automated testing (because of the TAP tests) and auto raised itself to BT Wholesale. 

There's definitely an issue here. Your throughput is poor, obviously, but what's odd is the fault was auto raised to the REIN team which is rare. It was only generic and initial testing but it looks to have been sent there because of a period of 22 hours worth of interference every day for the past 9 days. 

I'd suggest this goes straight to an engineer visit, for referral to a REIN engineer. If you agree then please update the ticket with some availability, let us know on here and we'll get it arranged for you. 

gtowen
Rising Star

Hi @JOLO An engineer can visit anytime except wednesday afternoon next week.

As to it been possibly REIN, I have gone through this kind of problem once before at another address.

Hopefully it won't take as long to sort it out. I do live in a block of council flats which has seen a number of new residents in the last 6 months so the problem if it is REIN might be in one of the other flats.

Edit: I powered off the modem for 30 secs (previously had rebooted router but forgot modem is separate Sad )

Then did a BTW test and got another weird result, but this time it did go through to the diagnosis test.

"Download speedachieved during the test was - 79.95 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-42.52 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 42.52 Mbps"

If only that speed was true, thinkbroadband giving a more realistic result, though upload has dropped aswell now

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1541771038226213755

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi gtowen, we'd just need a reply back to the ticket to authorise that request and allow us to make the booking. Please reply back here once that's been done. - Adam 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
gtowen
Rising Star

Hi @adamwalker I've replied to the ticket:

Any day between 8am & 1pm is fine

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @gtowen,

Thanks for your post.

We've booked in your appointment for Tuesday 13 November between 8am and 1pm.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance in the meantime.

gtowen
Rising Star

Hi @OskarPapa

Ok thank you.