cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has my speed been cut?

buseng12
Grafter

Re: Why has my speed been cut?

Ah, that explains it. My router just did another ppoe session on it's own accord before I read this.
Cheers, it's a touch better.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: buseng12
Ah, that explains it. My router just did another ppoe session on it's own accord before I read this.

What's your BT IP Profile now?
It appeared 'wrong' at 40.75 Mbps with your sync speed of 43,998 kbps.
I would have expected an IP Profile of 42.56 Mbps for a non-G.INP connection & 42.54 Mbps for your G.INP active connection (based upon every other connection's stats I have seen over a few years & G.INP active ones more recently).

buseng12
Grafter

No, still 40.75. Also still just in the red.
Strange that there is only 0.75 leeway.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

No, still 40.75. Also still just in the red.

There's something definitely wrong there then, but I have no idea what it could be.
IP Profile is based upon sync speed.
We have seen that when a new PPP session has been initiated, IP Profile is always around 96.79% of sync speed for non-G.INP connections & around 96.69% of sync speed for G.INP active connections.

AndyH
Grafter

Try dropping the PPP connection to Plusnet again, leaving it a few minutes and reconnecting.
buseng12
Grafter

A slight update on this. I have had a couple of resyncs since the weekend, the latest one around 9.50am this morning.
My current sync rate is now 53999 kbps, however using the figure I have been given-96.69%- for G-INP enabled connections, my BT profile should be about  52212 kbps.
Running the test only gives it 49990 kbps though. Would this be due to the fact I am still on level 4 interleaving on downstream? Or is my line compromised in some other way like banding?
Anyway, can I have my P/N profile raised to match the new sync rate please?
Forgot to say, I have already done a router PPP session drop & reconnect.
AndyH
Grafter

Try dropping your PPP again to see if it updates.
buseng12
Grafter

Just updated my post, I forgot to mention I have already done that.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

is my line compromised in some other way like banding?

The 'Almost exact' rounded figures for each downstream sync rate (40, 44, 49, 54) suggest it's being limited by the FTTC Profile ('Banding' but not exactly like ADSL banding) and increasing in steps: http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
AndyH
Grafter

w23 is right from looking at the previous post of Matthew:
Quote from: Matthew
Your current profile is "0.128M-49M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission High" so G.INP is enabled on a high level.

You'll need to wait for this to come off to get the extra speed.
buseng12
Grafter

Thanks both of you, very interesting. I assume it will come off on it's own eventually?
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Or is my line compromised in some other way like banding?

Your Sync speeds do indeed appear to be increasing in the smallish, banded steps that I previously mentioned might happen.
englishrick
Grafter

MMMMMMmmmmm interesting read, I had this up until a few weeks ago and its dropping daily

as you can see by todays test
We do have an intermittent crackle on our line but surely this thread could be the cause of our sync speed drop...