cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has my speed been cut?

buseng12
Grafter

Why has my speed been cut?

I am on P/N unlimited fibre & have noticed my download speed has been cut.
I was averaging 50meg or just over & my line profile was 60 meg with both BT & P/N. This was just a few days ago.
I have since noticed that my download speed had dropped to around 42/43 meg & to make matters worse I see my profile has now dropped to 45meg on both BT & P/N!
Why has my profile suddenly dropped by 15 meg in a matter of days?
The previous setting has been the same for ages.
Rebooting the router has made no difference & I don't think anything has happened to cause DLM to kick in.
57 REPLIES 57
darklight
Grafter

Re: Why has my speed been cut?

Smells like G.INP best you read up on this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136287.0.html
adie:green fixed link]
buseng12
Grafter

Sorry, the link doesn't work.
AndyH
Grafter

I would be cautious about blaming G.INP. A lot of people are attributing this to every instance of speed loss or latency increase, when there are many other possible explanations.
In this case, the timing wouldn't seem to make much sense.
buseng12
Grafter

Right, I have found some info on G.INP. I have a ECI modem but I don't know what my cabinet is.  It is cabinet 17 in my area, postcode RG30 4HS.
Is there any way of finding out & whether the cabinet is G.INP enabled or not?
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@buseng12 It's a Huawei cab so yeah it should be G.INP enabled, someone on the CRT should be able to confirm with a line check, you wont currently get speed back using a ECI modem so you have two choices get a Huawei based modem at your own expense or wait and see what BTO do to fix the problem but you could be in for a bit of a wait.     
buseng12
Grafter

buseng12
Grafter

OK, have received & installed said Huawei modem from eBay after doing a factory reset. Says it has the V100R001C01B028SP10 firmware & it is revision 3B.
Not sure if it is unlocked or hacked though, although the LAN2 blanking sticker is still intact.
Anyway first impressions are not that good, the download speed was the same as the ECI initially but this has now dropped by a couple of meg, now 40/41 instead of 43/44
(bear in mind I had a steady 50+ until last week).
Worse is the upload speed, straight away it dropped from the ECI's 18 to 16.
All just the opposite to what I was expecting!
Wondering if it is worth signing up for the ECI trial MW has just announced?
TR1PL3D
Grafter

If it is G.INP causing your problem then you will soon know if its cured as it takes about 12 hours before G.INP is actually enabled after a compatible modem is connected.
If I was in your position, I would unlock your HG612 modem, its fairly straightforward. See here ->> http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm
To me it sounds as if something else is causing your problem, I dont think that G.INP is the main culprit, but it could certainly be attributing to your problem.
With an unlocked HG612, you can obtain detailed stats that will enable members to help you find out whats really going on.
dick:quote
buseng12
Grafter

Right, an disastrous update on this. Now definite that I am on a Huawei cabinet with G-INP  ENABLED & was using a ECI modem (why was that issued in the first place with a Huawei cabinet?).
That might of been the reason for the initial speed drop mentioned at the start of this thread.
However, last weekend I installed what I think was an original locked Huawei modem with the old firmware, all I did to it was a factory reset. Immediately it synced at a LOWER speed than the ECI! Maybe because it had the old non G-INP firmware. Anyway  it was now down to 39 Mb from the original 50 where it has been for months. Last Friday I unlocked the modem & installed the latest SP08 G-INP compatable firmware.
This showed me that I had interleaving level 4 on both up & downstream.
Come Saturday morning things had got worse, it must of re-synced overnight & I was now down to 37 Mb download speed & the downstream interleaving had doubled to 8, but the upstream I/L had halved to level 2,
At about 9:30 pm Saturday night the modem re-synced yet again & now the speed had reduced again to 35Mb! The I/L remained the same.
Since the I have remained connected, but nothing had altered in my connection.
My attainable speeds on the logs state 61/62 down & 26 up.
In a nutshell I have lost about 15 Meg of speed in around two weeks, far too much & quick for crosstalk issues I would of thought.
The BT test results look a mess as well, my max limit is lower than the min limit, ie min 40Mb & max 37.05 Mb which is my current profile.  
As per attachment, my download is in the red.
I think this seriously needs looking at because something  major has gone wrong with  my connection.
Finally, nothing has changed within my house wiring.
ericgripp
Grafter

The only firmware that works with G.INP is B030SP08 can you confirm that "original locked Huawei modem with the old firmware" is running B030SP08 ? if not then im not surprised at the results you are seeing.
Also even once flashed correctly it can take 24 to 72 hours for the line to correct itself.
Heres a link to the as always useful kitz forum
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14262.0
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Your current profile is "0.128M-49M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission High" so G.INP is enabled on a high level.
The only way we'd be able to investigate further is to send a engineer although it may be worth keeping a eye on it for a couple of days as I've seen other customers in the G.INP thread where the speeds have gone up after a few days or so.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ericgripp
Grafter

Matt in this case I wouldn't think it needs an engineer, just needs customer to confirm they have flashed the HG612 with compatible firmware as documented on kitz site, as long as they have (which by sounds of it is not the case as implied on 27th april V100R001C01B028SP10 was being used) then it should resolve in 24 to 72 hours.
Despite this screenshot here
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=138749.0;attach=62505;image
Showing potential sync as 60 meg, you MUST be running B030SP08
AndyH
Grafter

The downstream has been banded though - that won't be resolved in several days.
ericgripp
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
The downstream has been banded though - that won't be resolved in several days.

Yes Andy because the HG is using incompatible firmware then G.INP has not kicked in correctly and the line defaults to insane levels of interleaving. If you even bothered to look at the screenshots you will see interleaving has skyrocketed. Once the HG is flashed correctly and the line corrects itself in 24 to 72 hours after flashing, retransmission will kick in properly, interleaving level will correct itself, sync will correct itself and speed will return. Im sorry but I thought you of all people understood this after numerous discussions here, obviously not.
IF the op is running B030SP08 then it will take said time frame of continuous connection to correct itself. As I saw and have read from others, usually as long as hardware and firmware are correct, you will find it resyncs overnight.