cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has my Fibre speed dropped??

Roostie
Grafter

Why has my Fibre speed dropped??

When I first started with Plusnet I was getting 42 Mb/s with a 9Mb/s upload.  Now I get 32Mb/s Download and a 1.7Mb/s upload.

I've purchased a better ASUS RT-AC87U Router, still the same.  Have rebooted, reset, reset the BT Fibre box and I still get lower speeds and sometimes download speeds drop from 32Mb to 3 Mb without warning.

No planned maintenance or current maintenance going on in the local area ( according to PlusNet)

So, why has my service degraded by 10mb/s  ????

24 REPLIES 24
Roostie
Grafter

Re: Why has my Fibre speed dropped??

Ahh, upon investigation it would seem that I am one of those 40/2 people that have been downgraded even though I have been with PlustNet since April 2014.

Roostie
Grafter

"We're a Sheffield-based broadband and phone provider, selling services to homes and businesses across the UK. We believe that paying less shouldn't mean a compromise in service."

Oh by the way, we've downgraded your service and not told you.... shhhhhhh

rhohne
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Welcome to the club.  Any supporting documentation provided by PN that override their base product and form the basis of your contract with them will be ignored. They will use the excuse that it was provisioned in error but they won't actually provided you with any communication stating that they have mucked things up.

Roostie
Grafter

Rang PlusNet this morning and they say "nothing has changed", they say I've always been on a 40/2 since I started in 04/2014. But I know that my speeds have dropped drastically in the last month or so.  I've had downloads of well over 40Mb/s and Uploads of at least 7Mb.

Did a DSL check and the latest results are here 

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Looking at your account you would have been getting higher speeds prior to June last year, as you were previously on the higher of the 2 fibre products. When you recontracted in June 2015 (after the date we changed the upload speed) this was on to the lower of the 2 fibre packages we provide, this is why you are no longer seeing download speeds over 40Mb/s.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Roostie
Grafter

Did I change my contract? I cannot recall that or was it changed on my behalf?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

It looks like you changed package and re-contracted over the phone with our Customer Options Team.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Roostie
Grafter

"it looks like" or " it was" ?

For the first time for a long time I had BUFFERING today whilst watching BBC iPlayer, no other devices using broadband at all. Even my WiFi speed to my mobile has dropped from 34Mb d/l to 20M d/l

NOT HAPPY AT ALL MR PLUS NET !  Time for an email to Mr Andy Baker as this is just utter pants at the moment. Have a read on these forums and see just how many people are all saying the same thing. That many people cannot be wrong.  You've changed something and you're not admitting it.

davenos
Rising Star

Surely if a new contract was agreed which included a change of service then a new contract and terms and conditions should have been sent to the customer?

If i where you i would ask for a transcript of the call so you can see if you did in fact agree to a change in contract that included the lower speeds.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Look at closed tickets at that time as it will (or at least should) have been documented https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

this is not the first time customer recontract over the phone ,, Had NOT been told they would be on a lower speed Undecided

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Roostie
Grafter

Just wondering why I would renegotiate a new contract and agree to a lower service? Why would anyone agree to a new contract that offered a degraded service.

Hmmmmmmm.... maybe some consumer advice is needed...
Roostie
Grafter

OK, so I've requested a copy of the call whereby my contract was re negotiated. if it "WAS" explained to me and made clear that under this new contract my speeds would be dropping then I have a huge slice of Humble Pie in the fridge ready to go and am prepared to eat it with lashings of double cream and I will apologise unreservedly and bequeath my soul for eternal PlusNet damnation.

On the other hand, if it is "NOT" clear on the call that my broadband speeds were going to drastically reduce, then PlusNet, and Mr. Andy Baker, prepare to feel my wrath.  Evil

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I'm willing to bet that the issue is related to the naming of the packages, in 2014 when the OP got their package the top 80/20 package was called Fibre unlimited which is what the 40/2 package is called now.

Im pretty sure the person who did the renegotiation only saw fibre unlimited and assumed that it was the lesser 40/2 not the old legacy 80/20, you would think by now that the staff would be aware that customers would still be on these older named packages and to check first what the customer is actually on before making a incorrect contract.

To me it seems Plusnet are at fault here and should rectify it.