cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I 'sometime' find Browser IP different from PlusNet Fibre Modem IP ?

pnPhorum
Grafter

Why do I 'sometime' find Browser IP different from PlusNet Fibre Modem IP ?

Why do I 'sometime' find Browser IP different from PlusNet Fibre Modem IP ? Can anyone technically explain it? Just curious!
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why do I 'sometime' find Browser IP different from PlusNet Fibre Modem IP ?

Not sure exactly what you actually mean do you have an example?

pnPhorum
Grafter

Without showing exact IPs - I keep a log now and also started to Print/Screen them on various computers.

If I run my [cheap] Technicolor TG582n FTTC router settings main page, you can see its 'physical connection IP address' within the Internet Connection tab [as with any router or modem] - it obviously takes it from the BT modem.

If you check your Browser IP while browsing [the actual IP sites will see] either using a 'Browser add-on' or one of the 'IP Check websites', you will see a different IP [until you restart router].

When this happens - i.e. when there are different IP [not this morning] and upon tracing the browser IP, it is shown to be PlusNet and its locality is inside a bar in Westminster or in the Thames [obviously spoofed in my view].

When asked PlusNet the first time, they said you cannot have two IPs [I guess they did not understand my question]

The second time I asked, nobody replied for ages [DM on twitter].

Then I asked another 2-3 times until someone replied: it is normal - just to get rid of me!

That's it - nobody clearly really wanted to reply or give an explanation.

1. I am not hacked or hijacked [I would know - believe me]

2. It does not always happen and also I noticed sometimes it slows connection a bit and that is the reason I reset and notice different IPs!
This is the reason I sometime reset router and all is back to ONE IP and working fine.

3. I have 2 accounts - work and home and they BOTH behave the same way

Either BT is playing with servers too much or something else is going on!

Any idea?

Anybody please?
Do check your 'Router IP' and also check your IP through your browser using one of the IP Check websites and see if it is different.

I bet many of us are in the same situation, but never noticed.

I am security conscious and therefore I notice things by default - I actually notice far more than this, but lets keep it in the subject.

Thanks

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I have a static IP and mine is corrrect Wink

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
pnPhorum
Grafter

Maybe  you are paying for a static IP, I do not.

I used to have a static one and I do not need it anymore.

Having said that, having a Dynamic does not mean I have to have 2 IPs [router & browser].

I also just realised this change of IP is the cause of 4-5 PayPal account login verifications in the last 2 months [since I noticed this double IP] and also last night PayPal asked verification & this morning GoogleMail refused my program to login!
I had to renew PW and also allow [on Google Mail Security Page] that IP to login as it was me at that time!

It does sometime affect accounts security too!

;p]

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

My system seems similar to yours with Technicolor router and Openreach modem. The IP address reported on the landing page of the Technicolor matches that reported by whatsmyip.org

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Occasionally you might access a website through Plusnet's IWF proxy, but this wouldn't be the case for things like Paypal or Google.

I'm not even sure how a browser add-on would be able to detect that. What browser add-on are you using? Are you sure it works properly?

Edit: I looked at the source code of a couple of Firefox add-ons that display your own IP address, they looked pretty simple, and fetch your IP address from one or more IP address checking websites, and have nothing to do with the website you've currently got open in the browser.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

@pnPhorum

I don't understand what is happening. So two off-the-wall questions:

1. Are you seeing this problem of 2 IPs with a wired connection or with a wifi connection? Forgiven me if this seems rude, but, if wifi, it really is your own router that you are linking through?

2. You mention a work system. Are you connecting to your work through a VPN? That may well change the IP displayed.

pnPhorum
Grafter

at present I use World-IP addon

pnPhorum
Grafter

No problems in asking:

1. both wi-fi and cable - mostly wifi at home - I have not checked for a long time on cable - although I do have one PC on cable [backup]  and wi-fi -
2. at work only one wi-fi and all cable - no VPN

I am just curious, really.

Please note, I am not referring to the router 192.---- internal network IP - but what I see on Browser through Add-on or IP check sites 'compared' to router Connection IP

pnPhorum
Grafter

Now I am wondering if it is the Plusnet's IWF proxy's fault or just all normal [but you usually get the: all normal this side reply when a Company does NOT want to explain something they are doing and believe me I discovered a lot of things from other ISPs - cannot talk about it here - sorry!]

Who's nose...

Sorry I meant:  Who knows!
;p]

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

What does 'nslookup' show for the external IP addresses?

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

@pnPhorum wrote:

That's it - nobody clearly really wanted to reply or give an explanation.

No disrespect intended but I dare say that this is because your question is very ambiguous. You need to state far more clearly what you are seeing in order to get more helpful responses.