Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can Sky give me faster broadband?

FIXED
balancedfire
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Why can Sky give me faster broadband?

I'm just out of contract and have been shopping around. Have had only one issue with Plusnet so I'm happy to stay but it seems that Sky can offer me speeds of 100mbit+ (guaranteed to be at least 100mbit apparently) whereas if I renew with Plusnet I'll remain on ~60-70mbit fibre. VM are not in my area so I'm limited to FTTC connections.

Are Sky lying or are they able to offer different services to Plusnet? Seems a bit odd as I'd have thought everything was the same regardless of provider, since it all goes through the same phone line to BT.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Why can Sky give me faster broadband?

It's possible that Sky are offering G.Fast if you are close enough to the cabinet. Plusnet are not currently offering that option

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.fast

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/03/g-fast-broadband-gets-commercial-uk-launch-by-openreac...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@MisterW wrote:

It's possible that Sky are offering G.Fast if you are close enough to the cabinet. Plusnet are not currently offering that option

Indeed. Though EE are currently cheaper and offer both 150 and 300Mbps packages whereas Sky only seem to market the upto 150 Mbps...

balancedfire
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Fix

Yes I've just signed up with EE today as I have a mobile contract with them too, so get some extra data. Minimum speed of 112mbps which is nice. Shame to leave Plusnet as I've been happy but can't argue with the almost doubling of speed for only £36 a month. Cheapest offer from Plusnet is to renew at £26.99 - not worth it in my eyes

Your Estimated Download Speeds: 125 - 145.6 Mb/sec
Your Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 112.2 Mb/sec
Your Estimated Upload Speeds: 10.7 - 27.3 Mb/sec