Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my speeds so different?!

Richiebow1
Dabbler

Why are my speeds so different?!

Hi,
I'll make this short and to the point, just wondering why my speed that is estimated on my Plusnet account is so different to what's actually being received?
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
jimk

Re: Why are my speeds so different?!

network congestion ?
Richiebow1
Dabbler

Unlikely as I've always got this speed since day 1 of having the service installed.
The ability to get up to 44mb only came to light when I was able to upgrade to fibre extra package which takes effect on 18th of this month.
It just made me wonder why I havent been getting 40mb since I took out the contract.
deathtrap
Grafter

Look's like you are still on ADSL with an IP profile of 16mbps , failing that  it could be a fault, with the line, or with your set up in your home  the woeful hub one re-branded BT HH5 v A The FTTC won't go live until the install date given  because the engineer will have to re jumper the Copper pair in the street cab  so that it interconnects to the FTTC  cab near to it only then will you see a speed increase
Richiebow1
Dabbler

Yeah I always thought that the IP profile was wrong.
I made them aware of this on the phone yesterday so they apparently changed it which made it show as the 44mb on my account but my actual speed didn't budge.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

They didn't and can't change the IP profile which is automatically calculated from your sync speed and from your initial post that is where the problem lies
Richiebow1
Dabbler

Just to make people aware I've had fibre since day 1 or at least paying for it. Hopefully my upgrade to fibre extra to take effect on the 18th will amend everything.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I doubt that it will make any difference to the download speed but it will be interesting to see what happens to the upload
Richiebow1
Dabbler

I shall report back on Friday when the product chanhe kicks in and let you know what happens.
In the meantime I may raise a fault ticket.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Your line is only connected at 17.2Mbps at the moment, so no changes we make on our side are going to affect this.
It's most likely going to need the faults team to dig in to the report you've sent as this is well below the estimate for your line.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Richiebow1
Dabbler

Yeah I logged the ticket on monday night but as yet no reply.
unfortunately at the time in which the engineer came to install my fibre I was not present due to being at work so I wasn't able to see what he actually did..
it seems to me that I am still on ADSL speeds at the minute so I have an aweful feeling an engineer is going to need to do another site visit, which due to the time of year is probably going to be in the new year.  Sad