cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my neighbours getting 30mbs

oooBEXooo
Grafter

Why are my neighbours getting 30mbs

Why would my neghbours be getting 30mbs on either side of me but I was told 30, checked it, and only getting 14mbs. Fibre is actually slower than my adsl line. I did notice on the 10th feb i was told 30mbs then on the day it was switched over you dropped it to 20mbs, but now im only getting 14mbs. I can understand an estimate being exactly that but surely plusnet cant estimate the speed at 30mbs and provide a speed slower than my adsl connection.
45 REPLIES 45
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Why are my neighbours getting 30mbs

The estimates for your line are between 22.4 and 32.4Mbps, from looking at the line you are connecting just below the low end of this. We'd be happy to look into this but would need a fault opening for us to investigate from, you can open a fault ticket at https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
oooBEXooo
Grafter

Chris, What do you mean by "just below"? I`m getting nowhere near the 22 mbs you claim.  Im getting 14.5mbs thats a 33% difference. But back to the question, How are other people getting 30mbs from other providers but im less than half your estimation. Speedtest can confirm this. 14.5 mbs isnt anywhere near the 32mbs you claimed when I signed up. This is a street that isnt far from the exchange and the ther houses are getting muchfaster speeds,  Just run another speed test and im getting 16 mbs, 6 mbs lower than your lowest estimate. Not a happy customer.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Your line is connected through to the exchange at 20.1Mbps, this is just below the estimated range. The speed you are seeing is the throughput, and should be slightly below the sync speed that you are connected to the exchange at. I can see you've started the faults checker, if you can finish that for us we'll pick it up and find out whether the speed can be improved.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
oooBEXooo
Grafter

Again Chris, Why are people getting 30 mbs who are technically further away from the exchange than me. Doesnt make sense. 16mbs isnt the 32mbs like i was quoted when i signed up. Sorry but when you say just below did you mean 20.1mbs? If so that is still 10% from the 22.4mbs you quoted on your post. As for we`ll see if it can be improved. Like i said other fibre users on the street are getting 30mbs, BT, talk Talk,and Sky. Plusnets is loads slower. When i signed up there was no mention of these numbers your saying to me. Its was all 30mbs plus and your speed should pretty much double. the reality of it is, Its isnt close, Its just slightly better now than adsl. I`ll make this simple, Can Plusnet provide me with the 30mbs like I was quoted, and other people on the street are getting? If you cant, Please tell me you cant instead of dragging it out. Its took nearly 3 months just to get to here.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Unfortunately, we cannot really provide you a definitive answer to that, however there are a few factors that could be involved.
I seem to remember dealing with a customer who's line was routed to their local cabinet a different way to their friends down the road. Generally an anomaly, but it does happen.
Either way, I can see that a fault has been raised on your account so I'll make sure that it gets picked up in due course.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
oooBEXooo
Grafter

Hi Matt, Doubt its, a new estate with other customers on my street are getting full speed. We`re about to be upgraded to the extra, i think its 74mbs, So considering customers are signing upto 70+ mb and your telling me that mines 22 mbs, somethings not right.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I hope you don't mind me attaching your predicted speeds on the DSL checker here. Nothing too incriminating, but thought it would help everyone else know where we're at.
I'm not sure why you would be wanting to upgrade to extra when you're syncing at 20Mbps. I don't think you would see any benefit at all based on the speeds that you're getting. My suggestion is to wait until until we have been through the faults process to see what speeds are possible before changing packages that allow higher capabilities.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
oooBEXooo
Grafter

Im not swapping, Plusnet cant provide that service. What im saying is, the exchange is due to swap over to 70+ meg lines, And customers of other providers are currently getting full 30mbs. 5 houses on my street get full speed. Can you explain that chart, Nothing makes sense on it. I`m getting none of those speeds on that chart. Couldthe fact that im on a self install explain any of this?
sjptd
Grafter

It could be star wiring of some sort, where an extension (telephone, alarm, old style Sky box) has been connected to a junction box between the incoming feed and the master socket.  This is quite common on older houses, less likely for you as you are a new build.
You are sure your modem is connected into the master socket and not to some extension?  Have you tried taking off the faceplate and connecting direct to the test socket?
Fibre is sometimes slower than ADSL, where you are relatively far from the cabinet but not too far from the exchange.  You could have a strange connection through to the cabinet; for example maybe your house originally had cable and BT style telephone was added later after the local cabinet was full.
It is unlikely to be a difference in the ISP; the basic infrastructure is the same for them all.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@OP. This may seem a silly question. When you say "neighbour" do you mean "right next door" or is there something like a side road between you?
On the estate I inhabit there are two houses across such a side cul de sac. The line loops all round it before coming to its neighbour, resulting in quite a substantial speed estimate.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
oooBEXooo
Grafter

Its a new house, 3 years old. Im the only person to live here.  I cant have cable fitted as it isnt round here yet. As for the exchange, Im less than 100 meters as the crow fliys, with a smaller exchange less the 25 meters away. I only have 1 socket in my house that is currently wired in. I do have sockets upstairs but those arent wired in, just the faceplate. As for the test socket, I dont have a test socket, im using a self install kit that was sent after 8 cancelled installs. There is only 9 houses on my street, and people who are at the end of the street have confirmed on speedtest.net that they are getting a solid 30mbs. Whats getting on my nerves is, It was sold to me as 30mbs, it was only after it was installed, did they tell me i wouldnt be getting the speed I was told on the phone. I`ve had alook on ofcom to see what my options are seeing as Plusnet arent close to the speeds that it was sold to me.
oooBEXooo
Grafter

as in right next door, further away from the exchange
dnpark38
Rising Star

Do you mean BT/OR only left a "drop wire" and its end with no OR socket installed with VDSL Faceplate on it?
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
oooBEXooo
Grafter

Erm.. Plusnet sent me a sagecom router, then a bt openreatch modem, which plugs into the same filter what adsl used to plug into. I`ve not had a bt engineer in my house. I know that it pointless checking for a test sockets as they werent fitted for some-reason. Does having ECI written on the bottom of the open-reach modem have anything to do with it?