cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I speed capped ?

Jonny

Why am I speed capped ?

Been having some issues with my broadband the last 2 weeks and just realised I'm capped at around 20Mb/s download. Why on earth am I paying for the top package if you going to cap me, despite the gaurentee of 35+.

My line profile looks just fine, but even the btwholesale speedtest comes back with a very slow speed versus the profile.

current line profile is but I'm not getting anywhere near these speeds down

Downstream: 51.72 Mbps
Upstream: 13.44 Mbps

any ideas ?

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Why am I speed capped ?

Let's start with facts, you are not being deliberately capped by anyone. What speed are you getting and how does it compare if you put your phonr number in here? https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

When you did the BTw speed test were you plugged into the BT master socket (or preferably the test socket, which you will find if you take the front off the master socket) and using an Ethernet cable between the router and speed testing computer?

If so have you done a quiet line test by dialling 17070 and selecting option 2. If this has background noise you need to report a phone (not broadband fault) to whoever you phone contract is with.

If you have done these things and it's still slow then report a fauilt.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Why am I speed capped ?

Hi @Jonny,

I've had a look over your account and can't see anything to suggest we're capping your connection at 20Mbps download as you've stated.

Testing your connection shows that you're in sync at 51.7Mbps download (As you've said in your post) with a profile of 80Mbps download and 20Mbps upload.

Do you experience the same problems on both a wired and wireless connection?

If you haven't already, I'd also request that you run through our troubleshooting guides in the first instance, Here.

If you do have the same problems on a wired connection, please could you run a wired speed test over at speedtest.btwholesale.com making sure to click the option to continue on to further diagnostics, as this will store the results on our suppliers systems and help with further investigations.

Following this, I'd recommend reporting the problem over at https://faults.plus.net

If you could let us know once you've done this, we'll be happy to get the fault report ticket picked up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet