Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I paying for Fibre Extra ...

Razer
Grafter

Re: Why am I paying for Fibre Extra ...

Well, a resynch almost an hour after my last post above:

06:46:46, 09 Jan.DSL Link Up: Down Rate=59555Kbps, Up Rate=19940Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.2dB, Up=6.0dB

So that's a little encouraging, now that the CWMP servers have managed to connect to my router. Still don't know why the router logs always say it was you that disconnected and reset when it's the system, but anyway, I continue to wait for the full 80 synch. I just hope it's not another 11 days.

Razer
Grafter

Thank you, Mav for the removal in my first post. I just noticed it. Smiley On to business ... My router has been resynched for 8 days now at the rates I posted above. Despite many successful connections by the TR069 system there is no further improvement, and no further resynchs, so still nowhere near Fibre Extra and the 80 down my line is perfectly cable of achieving. Can someone at PN please do something with this? Request the right profile, or some such? I remain convinced my line is set for simple fibre whilst I am paying for and not getting fibre extra. Thanks.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If you were on "simple" Fibre as you call it then your upstream would be synched at 9.999, so clearly you are on Fibre Extra.

As for the TR69, that is just the router/BT system just making sure your Firmware is up to date, nothing to do with DLM or sync speed. If and when DLM deems your line can cope with a higher download speed it will do a re-synch and the router will sync at that higher speed - but it can take a while. There is nothing PN, or any other ISP can do about that.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi Razer,

@Razer wrote:
I remain convinced my line is set for simple fibre whilst I am paying for and not getting fibre extra.

Your line must be configured as fibre extra to obtain the synch speeds stated below.

@Razer wrote:
06:46:46, 09 Jan.DSL Link Up: Down Rate=59555Kbps, Up Rate=19940Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.2dB, Up=6.0dB

In the current scheme PN's "simple fibre" should synch at Down Rate=40000Kbps, Up Rate=10000Kbps;

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Can someone at PN please do something with this? Request the right profile, or some such? I remain convinced my line is set for simple fibre whilst I am paying for and not getting fibre extra. Thanks.

You're definitely on the right profile:

Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

And your package on our side is also Unlimited Fibre Extra.

Sadly, this does look like to be an SNR issue. Hopefully DLM restores your higher speeds in due course.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Razer
Grafter

Thanks for your replies, gents.

Well, close to one month in and not done. Unacceptable "service". I'll just reiterate what I've said before, if it doesn't get sorted I'll take my custom elsewhere. I do not accept the excuse they can't do anything about SNR, because they used to last time I was with them.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear you're thinking about leaving us.

I don't think any ISP has control over fibre DLM.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Razer
Grafter

It used to be the case that PN regularly had customers' dB level changed, all you had to do was post on the forum. Anyway, my download speeds are totally [-Censored-] and getting worse - often around 50 to around 100Kb/s WOW. Super-fast fibre extra*. More like 56k modem days again. I'm not THINKING of leaving Plusnet. I'm absolutely eager to get the hell away as soon as I possibly can, for CERTAIN - just one single month with PN and it's been junk from the start.

PN used to be excellent, so did the forum people, doing all they can to help. Now it's just a shoulder-shrugging 'we can't do anything about Openreach DLM'. Fine, then I'll be off as soon as I can, congratulations on the profit ... of losing another customer ... again.

*Price only.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As far as I’m aware, we’ve never been able to manually adjust the SNR for fibre circuits. It is possible to do so though for ADSL lines using self service repair tools provided by our suppliers.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

With regards to your slow speeds, please leave this with me to look into when I’m in the office tomorrow.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@Razer I was the same boat. My fibre was stable full max out on 80/20 until DLM change my line to be capped at 74Meg and remain stable there for 54 days with no error second or severe error second until yesterday after 6pm, the DLM made change to my line decided to removed G.INP, increase interleave 16 to 1363 with INP at 3 but reduced SNR from 8dB to 6dB and reduced sync rate from 74Meg to 69Meg. I believe in the next couple of days or weeks then DLM will bring back G.INP and hopefully it should bring my max speed back to 80Meg as I think it could try out target SNR 3dB pretty soon. No ones know what the DLM will do next step. Nothing that PN or other ISPs can do about it.

If you decided to move away to different ISPs, you will face the same issues because the DLM will still there at your cabinet, no ones can adjustment or made change to the Openreach DLM system.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Our tests aren't showing the cause of why you're only seeing 100kbps and we can see your router is in sync at 59.3mbps.

Can you run a BT speedtest at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com using a wired connection, completing the further diagnostics at the end? This will store the result on the supplier system and will help us in reporting a fault to our suppliers.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Razer
Grafter

@goldenfibre No one knows? Oh yes, they do - BT. Openreach, a BT company. BT know what's going on and how things are set up with all of their companies, so when you switch, for example, to Plusnet (a BT company) or any other reseller of the BT system, you get screwed over by a system set up to screw you over for leaving BT - and all designed that way to eventually guide you back to BT. They know exactly how they have their systems set up, of course they know.

Razer
Grafter

@Gandalf Before I say any more, Anoush, I appreciate the intent to try to help. But I know the whole song and dance routines, I've seen all this (what is effectively) bull, time over for probably 15 years or more now. I don't want to rant and spit my venom at other people, it doesn't make me happy to do that, so I'll only go so far with the 'dance'. None of this addresses (as in fixes, corrects, rectifies) the synch, of course, nor will it, I'm quite sure. Oh, and BTW, gaming is seriously [-Censored-], too (I had THAT last time with PN, never resolved, so I won't be going through ANY song and dance for those matters, as said, I'll just be leaving in due course), but at the least I do thank you for your intent to try to help.

The test to the BT system says download is max 57.44, of which 50.24 is achieved.

The test to the BT system says upload is max 20, of which 17.54 is achieved.

Much similar to what other speed test sites the BT system knows are speed test sites/servers show generally.

Clipboard01-31-01-18BTHH.png

I did yesterday manage to get some erratic dl that would peak at 6.41mb/s for all of 3/4 of a second, typically dropping to 1-2mb/s, sometimes hoverring around 3-4mb/s, occasionally touching on 5mb/s - the salient feature being: it was all erratic. It doesn't matter what time it is, either. I've tested various times, on and off peak.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

BT IP is 57.44 Mbps and PN IP will be 57.4 Mbps and throughput speed should be around 54 to 55 Mbps because of overhead. When I used to be on full 80/20. My BT IP is 77.35 Mbps and PN IP is 77.3 Mbps and I get throughput speed of between 74 and 75 Mbps.