Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I paying for Fibre Extra ...

Razer
Grafter

Why am I paying for Fibre Extra ...

... when I am getting simply Fibre?

I just moved over from BT, and despite a ... coincidental ... fault which became apparent as soon as I was switched but which is now apparently fixed (looping), I have gone from a BT synch speed of 80 down/20 up, to PN's 58 down/18 up.

Can someone look into this because clearly things are not set right? My new (current) PN account is [Removed]. I'm already regretting coming back to PN and remembering why I left in the first place. Sad

Incidentally, is it really so simple to use BT home hub 5B on PN? Just input my username and website login password? The PN Hub one is horrible; far too much information displayed on the log and you can't even save the log ... amongst other things you can't do with it.

Thanks kindly.

EDITED TO ADD:

Just tried BTHH:

DSL Link Up: Down Rate=54022Kbps, Up Rate=19974Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.0dB, Up=6.0dB

Down on the down, up on the up. Shouldn't the SNR be 3dB for Fibre Extra?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum to an area that staff can see.

32 REPLIES 32
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Why am I paying for Fibre Extra ...

Yes you can use a BT Home Hub 5 type B with plusnet just a case of entering your plusnet username and password , I use the HH5 type B myself and found it to be very stable . The plusnet Hub One is basicly the HH5 type A just rebranded for plusnet.

Razer
Grafter

Yes, James. Thanks, just tried it. Connecting through it now. I'll leave it running on this for now, see what PN say.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi Razer,

Based on your previous synch speeds with BT and your question about a SNR of 3dB ...

I suspect you are connected to a Huawei VDSL cabinet and previously had G.inp applied with 3 dB noise margin.

When transferring between ISP's BT Openreach reset the VDSL port and discard all the line history.

This results in DLM starting from scratch, without the previous line data, re setting the synch speeds, interleaving and noise margins.

It starts conservatively and then hopefully will apply g.inp followed by SNR reductions.

My line DS synced at 58Megabits following a DLM reset, then after 5 days g.inp was applied and the line synced at 68 megabits. This was followed by SNR reductions  from 6dB in 1 dB steps over a week as  DLM saw fit to finally reach a synch speed of 77 megabits.

The only advice I can give is to use a modem/router which fully supports G.inp (like the HH 5B) and be patient with DLM.

Richard

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks @RichardB I've added your observation on modem /router choice to a current SU discussion thread on general Fibre performance issues including Hot SVLANs.

The HH1 being a potential contributor to the observed throughput change post BT -> PN migration is interesting.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi MauriceC,

To clarify my rather cryptic comment re the Home Hubs.

Inside the case the PN Hub One is the same device as the BT Home Hub 5A.

Both of these devices (along with the BT Openreach ECI modems) use the Infineon VDSL chipset.

These only support G.INP on the downstream and not the upstream.

BT Home Hub 5B's (along with the BT Openreach Huawei modems) use the Broadcom chipset.

These fully support G.INP on both the downstream and the upstream.

For reasons I do not understand when I use an ECI modem I loose G.INP of the downstream but it is applied when I use a Huawei modem.

Richard

Razer
Grafter

Hi Richard, and thanks for your reply.

@RichardB wrote:

It starts conservatively and then hopefully will apply g.inp followed by SNR reductions.

'Hopefully' being the operative word. We'll see.

It is so annoying that they reset everything, especially with a BT reseller. If they kept it I'm sure that would spare a lot of annoyance for customers and ISPs alike. It would cut out so many phone calls and online post about service suddenly getting rubbish.

Anyway, you also said:

@RichardB wrote:

Inside the case the PN Hub One is the same device as the BT Home Hub 5A.

These only support G.INP on the downstream and not the upstream.

BT Home Hub 5B's ... use the Broadcom chipset.

These fully support G.INP on both the downstream and the upstream.

I imagine that perhaps explains the increase in the upload synch when I changed from the PN hub to the HH5B

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Razer wrote:

It is so annoying that they reset everything, especially with a BT reseller. If they kept it I'm sure that would spare a lot of annoyance for customers and ISPs alike. It would cut out so many phone calls and online post about service suddenly getting rubbish.

There are plans afoot to change this behaviour. Not much more I can share at the moment though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Razer
Grafter

Ah, the good Bob Pullen. Hello Bob, long time, no see. I hope you are keeping well.

Well, the plans are good. Time will tell if they become policy. In the meantime, I should so like to be immediately put on the full speed I know my line is capable of (and that I'm paying for) with the right dB. I'm really not hopeful the system will automatically do it now I'm 10 days into my contract. Sad

By the way, is there a simple HTML version of this forum (as it used to be). I am detesting this "lithium" thing, especially the repeated nag screen to take a survey.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

The Openreach DLM system controls the application of G.inp and the reduced SNRM values so PlusNet can do nothing to influence it.

As for wanting it immediately that's not going to happen, the DLM system is a law unto itself not sure if BT know how its supposed to work. You will probably have to wait a lot more than 10 days, although some people see changes after a couple of weeks others wait for months and nothing happens.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Razer wrote:

By the way, is there a simple HTML version of this forum (as it used to be). I am detesting this "lithium" thing, especially the repeated nag screen to take a survey.

The survey will repeatedly appear if you clear cookies for the site, otherwise you'll only see it every 90 days.

Razer
Grafter

RealAleMadrid

No, I'm not hopeful of it sorting out any time soon. As for wanting it immediately, Bob's already said there are plans to arrest the DLM system so it's no longer a law unto itself. It's just not happening for me because they haven't made the proposed changes yet. Anyway, if I have to wait too long, or it isn't sorted I'll be out of here just as soon as PN put their prices up and I can get out of my contract without penalty.

Browni

Thanks for letting me know that's why it loads repeatedly. I've set up some blocking to stop the survey loading at all.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

I've had a few words to say about DLM over the years but I must admit since about 6 months ago, it has been playing with my fibre connection fairly frequently (in the range of 68 - 72Mb). I like to think it has matured in what it does to speeds recently. So you might see things happening far sooner than you expect, especially if your line speed is below par.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Razer
Grafter

Well I hope so, but I'm really not hopeful, especially as the modem keeps trying to connect with what seems to be the BT CWMP server and not the PN one (and keeps failing of course). I worry it is trying to resynch and it's not working. Trying to be really patient when I'm rarely so with technical issues. Thanks for your comments idonno.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Unhelpful cross-post removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still