cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wholesale network upgrade? IP Profile possibly stuck.

benfphillips
Grafter

Wholesale network upgrade? IP Profile possibly stuck.

@Anoush, Hello, me again!

So.. I randomly checked the wholesale availability checker this morning and it appears that something must've changed in my local area in terms of fibre.

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 65.8 20 19 56.6 Available -- -- -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 60 20 17.9 47.8 Available -- -- -- --

I am currently getting somewhere around 17Mbit, however the plus.net member centre also gives similar figures if I look at changing package to benefit from the higher upload speed.

I was hoping that someone could reset the plus.net profile and raise something to get the wholesale profile changed as well? I remember reading a ticket somewhere before which suggested that my profile was capped at 20mbit. It would be nice to be back in the 21st century in terms of internet speed =).

edit: I did reboot the router just in case that was necessary to get the better speed, although I have no idea how long the better speed has been available for.

Thanks,

Ben

18 REPLIES 18
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Wholesale network upgrade? IP Profile possibly stuck.

Hey Ben.

I'll take a look into this when I'm back in the office tomorrow Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bitemeh1980
Grafter

Forgive me for posting on this thread but i have a very similar issue and no one replied to my post. Would be very grateful if someone could look at this for my account too. Thanks in advance.
benfphillips
Grafter

@Gandalf

Many thanks! I've just plugged in the HubOne so I can actually see the sync speed and it sits at (see below) as of about 08:10 this morning. I did get an email about the package change last night at 3am saying it had also completed but it hasn't touched the profiles.

DSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:03:02
Downstream: 18.62 Mbps
Upstream: 2 Mbps

@Bitemeh1980 Lets hope so Smiley

benfphillips
Grafter

This information is from the wholesale speed test, further diagnostics.

Download Speed - 17.35 Mbps
19.95 Mbps - Max Achievable Speed

Upload Speed - 1.25 Mbps
 2 Mbps Max Achievable Speed

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Having looked into this, I'm not entirely sure what's changed (except your estimates).

Testing your line with BTW is showing the line length to be almost 1200metres but checking the enhanced line characteristics on the Openreach side of things it's indicating it's only 512m.

It's possible that the BTW records may be out of date. We'll be happy to arrange an engineer visit to further investigate and see if anything can actually be done to improve your speeds but there is a possibility they may find no fault.

On another note, it looks like the circuit is banded on 40/2 despite now being provisioned on 80/20.

I'll update your ticket 162034214 soon.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
benfphillips
Grafter

It used to say 18-25mbit, however something has changed recently for the improved speeds. If I do any speedcheck with another provider using the telephone number or postcode the results are still 65-80mbit. I'm not sure when this was updated, however it was fairly recently.

I spoke to a friend yesterday who works for OR and he said that the cabling coming down into the village was terrible so it's possible they've done something. I actually might go for a walk along the local loop and see if there's any new cabs.

benfphillips
Grafter

I’ve just walked up the road and I can see the cabinet I’m served from, it’s new and only about 300m from the house, maybe a little less.

I can see the number 34 on the side which is the same cabinet as the Openreach checker says my line is served from. Hope this helps.
benfphillips
Grafter

@Gandalf

The engineer just left.

I'll try and keep it short. Essentially the line runs through Cabinet 34 which is only a few hundred meters from my house, however the fibre is still jumpered at Cabinet 15 which is about 700 meters further up the road.

He's said that Plus.net need to raise a job to OR to get the fibre ceased at Cabinet 15 and re-provided at Cabinet 34.

Hopefully this lets us progress a little further.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As I was walking home last night, I thought that may have been the case.

I'm contacting BT Wholesale now, I'll post back soon.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
benfphillips
Grafter

Legend, thanks!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It appears that the engineer didn't leave any notes and sent the fault report back to us requesting another appt. Our suppliers are escalating this with Openreach to provide the engineer report.

In the absence of the notes in the meantime, it looks like cab 34 isn't ready for fibre yet.

Records have disappeared from DSL Checker and the Openreach site indicates they're connecting power to the cab and it should be ready within 4 months.

I'll let you know when we receive the report, but I suspect it may not change things and we might have to wait. Sad

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
benfphillips
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf thanks for your hard work, with my telephone number in the link you posted I get this?

Hopefully this hasn't been a total waste of time for everyone involved because of BTs contradicting data.

1632today.jpg

The data on the DSLchecker is TOTALLY wrong, the line length here is about 4.5km which would not support 18.5mbit ADSL2+.. what the hell is going on..

Telephone Number 01326 on Exchange PENRYN is served by Cabinet 34

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 18.5 -- 14.5 to 21.5 Available -- -- -- Yes
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available -- -- -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- Yes
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Other Offerings

Availability Date

ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap N              
VRI --              
NTEFaceplate --              
Last Test Date 26-11-2016  
benfphillips
Grafter

Also take a look at these results from BT and plus.net if I were a new customer..

btsite.PNGplusnettoday.PNG

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hmm. At the time I checked the Openreach site, it was definitely showing at the stage of connecting power and it'll be ready within 4 months... I think we'll need to wait until the engineer report comes back tomorrow.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet