Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who's gonna fix my line

FIXED
tel1
Dabbler

Re: Who's gonna fix my line

Right. I've just done the test again at 14:38 today using my phone number as the link. The results you will see are pathetic. Upload of 0.24Mbps. Does your equipment only test as far as the cab ?

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @tel1

Have you performed this test via http://speedtest.btwholesale.com as I can't see any results on our side. You need to make sure that you select further diagnostics afterwards.

Once you have done this, can you please drop us a screenshot of the results page so we can see if there is an error in reporting.

tel1
Dabbler

Is this some kind of wind-up ? Three times now I've put my results on here and three times I've been told you can't find them. I can't right click on the site to get a cut and paste of the page. I suspect you already know that. The results are exactly what I put on here before - an upload speed of 0.28mbps. For fibre for crying out loud |||||||||||||||||||||| Further diagnostics.  " The TAP test is inconclusive, but if you keep getting the problem advise your supplier. Well. I'm advising you now. The service is [-Censored-]. All the cables up my road have A1024 labels on from 2017 and before. The place needs uplift as BT well knows. My only question is this. Do I have l to leave PlusNet after 4 years or so to get the service I once had ? If so, let me know and I'll cancel the contract. I'm sick to the back teeth of all this. I used to be a BT engineer and I'd change the cable over myself if I had some 20 pair

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @tel1 

Does your equipment only test as far as the cab ? 

We are able to see the physical sync speed of your router via a GEA test - here is a copy of the read out info from the one I have just performed; 

Test OutcomeFail

Test Outcome CodeGTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1615

DescriptionPotential HR Joint or wet joint detected on GEA Service. Please continue to submit a trouble report

Main Fault LocationCE

Sync StatusIn Sync

Downstream Speed35.0 Mbps

Upstream Speed10.0 Mbps

Appointment RequiredN

Fault Report AdvisedY

NTE Power StatusPowerOn

Voice Line Test ResultPass

Bridge TapDetected

Radio Frequency IngressNot Detected

Repetitive Electrical Impulse NoiseNot Detected

Cross TalkNot Detected

Estimated Line Length In Metres473.1

Upstream Rate AssessmentVery Good

Downstream Rate AssessmentLow

Interference PatternNot Detected

Service ImpactNo Impact Observed

Home Wiring ProblemNot Detected

Downstream Policing Discard Rate0.0

Customer Traffic LevelUpstream and Downstream Traffic Detected

TechnologyVDSL

Profile Name0.128M-40M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off

As you can see from that information there appears to be an fault located on your line - I've checked the GEA history for the test Dean & Dave ran, and this fault is not showing on their results. 

I have raised this to our supplier to investigate. 

Further information and updates regarding this fault will be provided on this ticket

Thanks 

tel1
Dabbler

Hi Thanks for your reply. I'm still at a loss to understand how your test shows the fault, but others don't but that's fine. Thank you for having run more tests.  At least someone has agreed with me and located  the problem. However I've had an Openreach engineer for much of the afternoon who stayed in my property for the whole time and didn't investigate outside. His conclusion is that the hub is at fault - even though it only turned up on Monday ! The reason he came to that conclusion is because he managed to get a metered reading similar to your colleagues from the house end of my lead in - although after his investigation was ended the system still a) ran at 0.2 download speeds and b) dropped out entirely !. You will be getting his results soon I understand. Let me say though that I don't believe the hub is the problem and that the reason is the contact fault you have identified and advised me of. The footway box outside my neighbour's house is full of water and has been throughout the dry spell. I don't know if that is where the problem is located, since it is probably not the only one. I am told that there used to be a spring running through this estate when it was formerly farmland and I don't suppose it was properly diverted by the developers. My internet connection speeds are no better than when he arrived, although the Ethernet tested better until it too dropped out again. So here I am again, back at square one. The hub is flashing orange and my connection is lost yet again. I will wait until it (hopefully) turns blue and send you my latest wail. Well waddya know ? Here goes

tel1
Dabbler

I don't know who, how or why but right now (8pm) I just got a reading of 39.44 Mbps download, 9.8Mbps upload and latency of 12.4 ( I think) I don't really understand that bit. If I'm dreaming, don't bother waking me up. If somebody there fixed the problem, you're in my will. I'm a believer

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

That's fantastic news @tel1. I would like to take credit for this Cheesy, however I would feel guilty for I have had no role in it.

I have looked over the engineer notes and he believes it was an intermittent wireless performance problem due to the router. Please monitor your speeds and let us know if the speed drops on a wired connection again.

If the speed drops on the wireless only, please come back to us confirming if it is our router and we would be happy to assist there too.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
tel1
Dabbler

Things seem to have returned to normal again. Internet keeps dropping out and speed reduced to a crawl (see igs)                                                                                                                                                                                      Download19 Mbps

Upload
783.5 Kbps
Latency
44.6 ms

Anybody got any ideas about what happened ? Cheers. Terry (ps nobody ever cleared the wet joint that was shown)              

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Terry.

Line tests are showing a potential fault "Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report" so I've gone ahead and raised this back through to our suppliers for further investigation and we'll update you when we know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tel1
Dabbler

Thanks a lot for your help. As you can see I've been losing service as I was before switching to fibre and despite two visits from Openreach engineers the fault hasn't really gone away. I'm sure the router was fine when it got the blame last time, since it was only about 8pm that night that the internet finally got up to speed. Which it has lost again now. I'll leave things until I hear rom you. Cheers. Terry

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems Terry, fingers crossed they find something soon they can fix.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tel1
Dabbler

Hi. Just an update. Had another visit from the same Openreach engineer (nice guy - not the problem) who came last time and faffed with my internal wiring and blamed the router. Turns out he's not certified to work on u/g faults - even though you already flagged a wet joint as the trouble - so why he was sent, only BT's despatcher knows !!! To date, nobody has yet opened a footway box in anger or looked for the identified fault. Never mind. I'll stay patient

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Fix

Hi @tel1

Really sorry to hear that the resolution to this was delayed as an engineer was dispatched without the relevant skillset.

I can see that my colleague has spoken to our suppliers on your behalf to get this re-booked already and I've provided an update on the detail here

Best wishes,

Dave

tel1
Dabbler

Thanks for that . Another engineer turned up this afternoon and opened up the footway box outside my neighbour's and seems to have resolved the issue. As far as I can tell the internet hasn't dropped out since and when I checked speeds it's reading 32mbps download and 5.9mbps upload. Latency 32. Once again, thanks for all your help. Let's hope it stays fixed now. Terry

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): The fix has been changed to @RandallFlagg as per message #28.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still