cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who do I contact at Plusnet about Fibre ?

Whiskerpuss
Grafter

Who do I contact at Plusnet about Fibre ?

I moved into this property 2yrs ago. It's enabled for fibre broadband, BT/Openreach installed and enabled the Green Box for fibre when the properties were built 2yrs ago. The exchange a mile away is enabled for fibre broadband. The fibre cable runs straight past our road from the exchange to the properties and industrial estate half a mile further along the road, who are all on fibre broadband, and now use our green box rather than the one further up the village (half a mile away).

All the neighbouring properties to this development of 32 bungalows are enabled for and receiving fibre broadband. Yet not our 32.

When I moved here 2yrs ago Plusnet made enquiries and were informed fibre was not available here. That wasn't true. It is.

Last year, plagued with extremely slow broadband I contacted BT/Openreach and complained that they still had not connected these properties to fibre even though the exchange and green box installed at the time the bungalows were constructed and being used by properties further along the road, are both enabled for fibre. 

A woman rang me up, some high powered BT/Openreach woman, an executive I believe, but I've since lost her name and department. Anyway she told me she would look into it, as she couldn't understand why we werent connected to fibre, and that it appeared to be an oversight and that we should be connected shortly. That was this time last year. Still not connected.

So I contacted BT/Openreach again last week, and was told it has nothing to do with them, and that I must contact my telephone/broadband supplier (Plusnet) who must contact Openreach to let them know that fibre is available from the local green box and would they activate it so that their customer (me) can receive fibre broadband.

The green box location on the BT/Openreach website 'Fibre Broadband Availability', is not the green box servicing my property, it's one in the north of the village about a mile away. My green box isnt even listed and not on any of their maps. But their engineers regularly visit it to carry out work, presumably for the fibre customers further down the road.

So what I'm asking is, who do I contact at Plusnet, who has the authority to contact BT/Openreach and tell them that both the exchange and the 'new' green box are both enabled for fibre and can they investigate why the 32 new (not so new now) properties have never been able to be connected to fibre broadband. 

To be honest, I think it's just BT/Openreach can't be bothered to activate the box, and won't admit they've made a blunder in not activating it when they should have and are hoping that the problem will go away or be forgotten. 

So any help with getting myself and the other 31 properties connected to fibre would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry this is so long winded but it's been dragging on now for 2yrs. 

25 REPLIES 25
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Who do I contact at Plusnet about Fibre ?

What does it say when you put your phone number into the DSL Checker?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Whiskerpuss

This is probably more a political issue, have you approached your local councillors and your local BDUK project? (BDUK is based on 3 regional bodies for NI, Wales, Scotland and county based for England)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Whiskerpuss
Grafter

Mustrum See attached file.

Which means nothing to me. But I don't see fibre there anywhere.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@Whiskerpuss

You may want to edit out your phone number from that image as this is a public forum

Whiskerpuss
Grafter

Just done it, didnt realise it was on there, thanks. 

Whiskerpuss
Grafter

Just had a look on the BDUK website and there's nothing there to 'Contact' them . 

Surely it's not down to the end customer to chase them up, shouldn't it be the customer's ISP?

SpendLessTime
Hero

@Whiskerpuss

From the screenshot I'm assuming you live in Cornwall and your local BDUK is superfast cornwall , contact details http://www.superfastcornwall.org/contact-us 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It does seem a bit odd, the ISP's can only supply the services available on the DSL checker, and Openreach only deal with the ISP's.

Was this a new property when you moved in two years ago? If so it may be worth contacting the builder, they will have a contact for all of the infrastructures, and I had thought new builds had to have fibre available?

Also, not all green boxes can deliver fibre, you can read more about this on Kitz .

Finaly, it could be worth putting your postcode into the DSL checker, to see if Fibre services are available or on Openreach which may help say when it will be available.

Whiskerpuss
Grafter

Yes there were 32 new bungalows built in 2014 which is when we moved in. We were told there was fibre super fast broadband available, and Openreach installed the green box on the corner of our close. The box is capable of fibre, because a neighbour asked an engineer who was working on it one day and he said yes it was, infact he was connecting a customer who lives up the road (not our close).

Yes in Cornwall.

I put both the phone number in the DSL checker and then the post code and it came up with the same thing. Not available at the present time. 

It's very frustrating because the rest of the village (3,500 population) have super fast broadband and we don't.

Even the bungalow that is right next to the box, which was here 30yrs ago has super fast broadband, Infact he's my neighbour. 

Whiskerpuss
Grafter

I've spent most of today sending emails and completing online contact forms to just about every section of BT/OpenReach and others to try and get this sorted out once and for all, as I have done for the past 2yrs. Only ever been contacted once by Openreach who were going to look into it, and never heard from them again. That was a year ago.

It's ridiculous it's gone on for 2yrs.

Why Plusnet don't step in and try and do something is beyond me, after all they are part of BT, so much have some influence.

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@Whiskerpuss wrote:

Yes there were 32 new bungalows built in 2014 which is when we moved in. We were told there was fibre super fast broadband available, and Openreach installed the green box on the corner of our close. The box is capable of fibre, because a neighbour asked an engineer who was working on it one day and he said yes it was, infact he was connecting a customer who lives up the road (not our close).

Even the bungalow that is right next to the box, which was here 30yrs ago has super fast broadband, In fact he's my neighbour. 

If you check your neighbour's phone number, is he/she on the same cabinet as you, does fibre show as available and is the cabinet on the corner cabinet 7?

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Whiskerpuss
Grafter

I don't know what his telephone number is as I hardly ever see him and don't know his surname. 

I can't find any information about cabinet 7 to check if it's fibre enabled even tho we were told by a BT engineer it was.

I'm assuming that cabinet is no.7 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

This is a useful site for finding cabinet info.

Whiskerpuss
Grafter

Thanks for that.

Well the phone number checker says exchange accepting orders and my cabinet is no7 but no mapping for the cabinet (probably because our development doesn't show up on any maps as its so new and just shows a field)

And with the postcode to pcp cabinet it says exchange under review and no mapping for cabinet no7.

The exchange is def taking orders for fibre.

When checking my vets number, who has fibre it shows the exchange taking orders and her cabinet no8 enabled.

So the problem appears to be our exchange and box is enabled but because our box is new and there wasn't one here before as it was a field, there is no mapping for it and until there is, if ever, we're not going to get connected to it. Anyone else connected to it seems to be because they are not 'new build' properties and show on map searches where's our property doesn't, it's just a field still.

That's all I can think anyway.

But where to go from here?

Would Plusnet be able to get it sorted out?