cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which? Recommend BT Smart Hub 2 - can I swap my old Plusnet Router

Paulb2

Which? Recommend BT Smart Hub 2 - can I swap my old Plusnet Router

My speeds are great, up to my house, and then the wifi drops off. I suspect the router (although reliable for some years) is now getting older. the BT Smart Hub 2 is Which? Best Buy, can I swap the old Plusnet hub and switch to a new BT router? If not. does Plusnet have a preferred new router they sell and how would I buy one?

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Which? Recommend BT Smart Hub 2 - can I swap my old Plusnet Router

@Paulb2  Welcome to the forum.

Yes you can use a Smarthub 2 using these Smarthub 6 instructions. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

I doubt that the Smarthub 2 WiFi will be any better than the older Smarthub unless you also have satellite extender(s).

Many of us use the Smarthub 6 as they’re cheap off the likes of EBay.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Paulb2 

PlusNet are happy for you to use any router you want so long as it supports your connection ie ADSL or VDSL. they provide the settings required on their Help page

www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

BT HH6 or BT SmartHub 2 can be obtained relatively cheaply off eBay - just make sure you get the FTTC version and not the FTTP one (which as a Red Wan connection and 3 yellow Lan  - FTTC has 4 yellow Lan).

Brian

Tigger17
Grafter

Hub 6 is best - about £10 off Ebay and reasonably easy to set up for use with Plusnet - plenty of instructions on Google. I have one and its much better than anything Plusnet provide. It has 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz as well.