Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to start

WhatsWrongNow
Grafter

Re: Where to start

Hi Gandalf
The 2.5GHz is disabled as while devices are on this we get constant errors on bad packets and this is when you change channels and the other routers follow
We are only running the 5GHz and this seems better.
We used to run an ASUS router with a TP link modem but this was on ADSL and I haven’t looked at what is needed since we got moved onto FFTC but I’m not sure that can be the entire issue. To recap quickly I have devices connected to the internet and working that the plusnet router is blissfully unaware of, passwords say they are incorrect then are accepted without changing them and we have constant port forwarding rules being added by remote admin..... none of which anyone seems to be able to offer a reason for.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @WhatsWrongNow

To recap quickly I have devices connected to the internet and working that the plusnet router is blissfully unaware of, passwords say they are incorrect then are accepted without changing them and we have constant port forwarding rules being added by remote admin..... none of which anyone seems to be able to offer a reason for.

Apologies if I've missed something on the thread, but putting aside the oddities for a moment, are you experiencing any performance problems when using the 5GHz frequency?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
WhatsWrongNow
Grafter

Speed and the fact that any backup or upload is seen as a tcp reset attack so will fail
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah, I see. At this point it may be worth trying a different type of router.

The connection details you need for FTTC can be found here

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
WhatsWrongNow
Grafter

That’s great thanks but it’s the hardware I was thinking of.
I know my ASUS router (rt n660 I think) will work with Fibre but the modem won’t
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I think it's possible to use the Hub One as a modem and connect your own router to that, though I'd have absolutely no idea how to do that.

Members of the community may be able to provide assistance.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Whilst it is possible to connect your router via the Hub one, it doesn't have a true 'modem only' mode and so you would still be using the routing function of the Hub one. Possible options for a true FTTC modem to use in front of the ASUS would include:-

1) TP link TD-W9970 set to bridge mode  - https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Support-UK-TD-W9970/dp/B013OXVA6M

2) Netgear DM-200 set to bridge mode - https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-DM200-100EUS-High-Speed-Broadband-Modem/dp/B01GL3YPHI

3) a secondhand BT modem (preferably the HG612) from ebay - for example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Huawei-EchoLife-HG612-3B-FTTC-VDSL-NTE-Fibre-Modem-SAME-DAY-DISPATCH/3...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

WhatsWrongNow
Grafter

@MisterW thanks that’s great. Can you recommend a good WiFi extender booster?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@WhatsWrongNow 'fraid notSad Not something I've ever had a use for.

If I needed to extend WiFi coverage then I'd always use a wired connection to a separate wireless AP if at all possible

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.