cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where's my FASTPATH gone?

DamBuilder
Grafter

Re: Where's my FASTPATH gone?

One thing that has crossed my mind is do the PN "settings" at the cabinet/exchange potentially have a lower tolerance for CRC errors.? I've always thought that mine were a little on the high side.
elfish
Grafter

There are different 'stability' profiles but I am not sure which PN use. Someone else maybe able to answer that question.
Edit. It says within the article over on Kitz: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm, but BT is unknown, so it maybe different.
DamBuilder
Grafter

Cheers. As a newbie here do PN staff not monitor/post at weekends?
deathtrap
Grafter

Firstly if you migrated from BT consumer to PN  then your line will not of been touched as no engineer is needed it's all done remotely  and your copper pair D 'side will be the same,
Stability profiles: according to info on this forum PN did use the standard BTW option which maps to the BTOR speed option, So has a higher error rate threshold than the other two options
Looking at the very limited info from the stats , the upstream sync seems lower than it should be ,(assuming that the DS attenuation reported by the router is correct) Also if you where syncing at 75mbps you should of been able to  download at lot nearer that speed  60+ mbps isn't good
what is your current BTW ip profile?  http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do
Have you got a unlocked BT huawei modem ? as something like one of those would give full stats and you could also monitor the health of your connection that way
DamBuilder
Grafter

Sorry deathtrap but that link just gives an error "Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information."
No I don't have any other equipment that I could use.
Below (hopefully) is what I was getting the day after PN went live with FASTPATH still on;
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4649957954
And this is what I've just got;
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4657683355
Sorry don't know how the get the speedtest pics on..!!
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Quote from: DamBuilder
Cheers. As a newbie here do PN staff not monitor/post at weekends?

Quick answer, No
Fuller answer, some Plusnet staff check in their own time.
It has become harder in the past few months to get PN staff to answer posts in this forum. Some topics never see a staff response.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
deathtrap
Grafter

the link i gave should display this page http://i.imgur.com/sy344Kj.jpg, then after entering your telephone number you run the test, after the speedtest completes it should display the IP profile and your speed test result , It's the IP profile we needed to see , However if the page displayed as in the ss, and you ran the speedtest and it then failed to load the next page with IP profile on it, this seems to be another trait of PN although it can affect customers of other isp's  , keep trying it  is all you can do,
Do you  still have the BT  Openreach modem, is it a ECI or Huawei  brand ?
DamBuilder
Grafter

Quote from: deathtrap
the link i gave should display this page http://i.imgur.com/sy344Kj.jpg, then after entering your telephone number you run the test, after the speedtest completes it should display the IP profile and your speed test result , It's the IP profile we needed to see ,
Do you  still have the BT  Openreach modem, is it a ECI or Huawei  brand ?

If I go straight to that page it does nothing but if I go to the http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ page first it then takes you to the page you suggest when you press further diagnostics. Running it then gives the error I posted earlier "Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information." Tried three times with same error.
No BT wanted OR modem back so it's gone...
deathtrap
Grafter

No BT wanted OR modem back so it's gone...
So BT Retail wanted  their Home Hub back (router/modem one box setup)? If it was just a Modem that was supplied by the BT OR engineer When they installed the FTTC service (Which would require a router with EWAN port) that doesn't belong to BT Retail  it is the active NTE so part of the circuit, but if the HH that could be different, but i have never heard of them wanting them returning before,very odd
Ebay has some Huawei HG612 3B modems, but i wouldn't pay much more than £20 for one , unless plusnet will supply one, but there's a chance that it may be an ECI if they do, and they are not straightforward to unlock , also they don't work well with G.inp  even though they are supposed to
I updated the link to what it should have been, it's a quicker way of displaying the IP profile (when it works for you)
DamBuilder
Grafter

Yes they sent me a prepaid bag to return the "original" equipment so I didn't question it and sent back the HH3 and OR modem. Only went back yesterday morning lol.
Just checked your link again and it runs but with the same error as before.
lf2k
Grafter

What's happened is that when you migrated from BT to PN they did a DLM reset. This means you go through the 10 day training period (we all know it's not really ten days, but hopefully you get what I mean).
Generally when the line is reset you start faster than normal, get a few errors then interleaving kicks in a few days later. If you can get G.INP this'll kick in a few days after that, otherwise the line will adjust speed accordingly in order to reduce errors. When the number of errors drop sufficiently and DLM finds the sweetspot for your line, interleaving will come off and you go back to Fast Path.
Tl;Dr version
Give it a week or so and it should sort itself out - there's no need to twiddle with router settings or whatever...
DamBuilder
Grafter

Thanks lf2k that's sounds promising.
I hadn't actually tweaked anything on the router (other than the first reset and inputting of login details) which is what made it more frustrating lol...
Just one question; If G.INP is enabled on the router but the cabinet doesn't support it can this potentially cause problems?
deathtrap
Grafter

If there was a DLM  reset  it  could of been  triggered as a result of the change in DLM stability profiles if BT was using a different one, If G.inp was enabled on your connection  prior to migrating to plusnet this would change which DLM profile you would be on,  So you wouldn't be on the default wide open profile (fast path) to begin with  it would start off interleaved
But this wouldn't currently apply if connected to an ECI FTTC cab, do you happen to know what type of FTTC cab you are connected to?
The gaining provider wouldn't place an order for DLM to be reset by default , If it was reset it would be due to change of DLM stability profiles, assuming  changing      those would trigger it,    
The only other way DLM would be reset is change of product type, ie 40/10 to 80/20 or vice versa
lf2k
Grafter

Just one question; If G.INP is enabled on the router but the cabinet doesn't support it can this potentially cause problems?

It shouldn't make a blind bit of difference - pretty sure you mentioned an ECI cab earlier in which case they'll switch it on soon when they roll it out. Your modem will be ready when they do; the DLM is basically telling your router to ignore G.INP at the moment.
I'll agree with you about it being frustrating when you're not tweaking the router! I've been bitten a number of times in the past... Grin
@deathtrap: fairly certain DLM reset is standard when migrating since BT OR won't know which DLM speed/stability profile or product you're on when they migrate you, they just reset the line.  Plenty of cases of people moving from G.INP to interleaving when they change providers, meaning the line was reset.
Fairly certain only TalkTalk use a different DLM stability profile - BT and PN use the same for sure. I don't think the engineer knows whether you're 40/2, 40/10 or 80/20 at the time of migration so fairly certain the reset is just automatic.
Would be good if someone from PN could confirm...
DamBuilder
Grafter

lf2k: Thanks for the feedback.
Just noticed my down sync is now 87k which considering I'm on a 76/19 (which I assume is what people also call 80/20) connection seems rather weird lol 