cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does Plusnet advertise upload speeds?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Where does Plusnet advertise upload speeds?

@MrSilver Obvioulsy this OP could not find the upload speed https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/How-do-you-improve-Video-calling-e-g-FaceTime/m-p/1401...

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@MrSilver I'm with you, there are bigger issues than redesigning Plusnet's webpages for them!  But was ever so, there's wolves and sheep and I've always managed to get the deal I want in cases like this. Most people seem to spend their hard earned cash without doing sufficient research then complain that the supplier wasn't looking after them. More of a concern to me is politicians and quangos jumping on the bandwagon and coming up with half arsed laws and regulations fixing things that don't need fixing Ticked_off

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Not sure the op would know what he bandwidth requirements are for ft. Google or search apple and they don't seem to be published. All I found was https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2612101?tstart=0
Per Apple, sending or receiving HD video requires a minimum bandwidth of 1 Mbps. Non-HD has lower requirements.

So the op in that bread read they were getting 38/2 for their parents and didn't know 2mb would impact what he wanted, so chose to go for the cheaper slower product.

Had they gone to any of the above sites they still would t have known what speed they were getting or would have known if it was enough!! 2mb is quite a lot for FaceTime when you look at he cameras on the phones!!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@MrSilver wrote:

@rongtw unfortunately you will be looking for a while for upload elsewhere.

Virgin - no upload speed mentioned when you follow their broadband pages and order journey, you need to find on other pages on the site.

Did you actually read the earlier post from ccarmock?

@ccarmock wrote:

Go to http://www.virginmedia.com/

Hover over broadband on the menu bar across the top and click on Broadband speeds  a full table appears.  They list advertised upload and download speeds as well as an indication of what was actually achieved. All displayed well before any attempt at sign up

Virgin speeds.png

It's not difficult to find given it's hover and a single link from the home page! And it gives way more information than Plusnet give.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MrSilver
Pro

Yes I read it, I guess you didn't read my reply? Virgin hides a link under a menu that doesn't form part of the product info on the main page, or gets referenced on any order journey. So you can buy and not be told your upload. But you are happy with this rather than a per user check that will tell you specifics in just one click from the plusnet page. To be honest sounds more like an argument for the sake of arguing!

You also didn't reply to my response to your question about an example on amazon not giving all the tech specs before you buy it, did you find the USB port power on the hub?
WWWombat
Grafter

A hover action isn't particularly user-friendly on tablets.

Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
uk144
Dabbler

I must say I didn't find out about the 2MB upload speed until I had signed up and paid my money. Which really annoyed me. I am not usually taken in by these sorts of things. It certainly didn't feel like they were doing me proud.

MrSilver
Pro

This is the screenshot I took from the sales journey that I put in another thread, if you put your number in on the home page it gives you this, or if you "start order" and skip the tech checks it will still ask for the number you want it on and confirm speeds before you go into the order journey.

2mb.jpg

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

And here's another screen shot. One of dozens and dozens that show absolutely no sign of the upload speed.

Capture.PNG

In my back yard I have a haystack. There is definitely a needle in it. No one dare say otherwise. You just have to look for it.

MrSilver
Pro

I can give you 1000 screenshots of where it is not... the point I am making is everyone DOES go past A screen with it on when they buy broadband. In the excitement to place an order with Plusnet I understand not everyone will read all the text though. Not trying to continue the debate about where is the best place to put it, where is the right lace to put it, what else is missing or not needed etc. just pointing out I've not found a way to get to the end of the sales journey and not gone through the step that tells you the upload speed. (not phoned the call centre so no idea what they say though)

jelv
Seasoned Hero

We can argue until the cows come home about where it does or does not appear, but when we see posts like this:

@uk144 wrote:

I must say I didn't find out about the 2MB upload speed until I had signed up and paid my money. Which really annoyed me. I am not usually taken in by these sorts of things. It certainly didn't feel like they were doing me proud.

the simple fact that it is not visible enough.

If Plusnet was run by customer support orientated management who actually believed in committing to "We'll do you proud" (and not by a sales and marketing orientated management who's mantra seems to be "We'll do you" and as long as we meet our sales targets everything's A OK), they'd have taken note of the numbers of people complaining about discovering the slow upload speed after they were connected and done something to make it clearer.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Just had a look at Talk Talk and they do the same as Plusnet.

I have a feeling if Plusnet placed the U/L speed on the front page in the same font as the D/L speed then people would be put off signing up on the mistaken belief that the Plusnet U/L is slower than anyone else.

If all ISPs had to do it, that would level the field but one ISP going out on their own......Undecided

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ccarmock
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I agree in this day and age an upload speed artificially capped at 2 Mb/s is ridiculous.   There is talk about the UK lagging behind with broadband and it's things like this that don't help that one bit.

I think you are right in saying that people might go elsewhere if they see a 2 Mb/s upload speed which incidentally is a bit over half the country average.  SO yes it's an embarrassing fact for them to publish, but it is a fact that that is what they offer.

Of course if they were a more progressive company they would offer the 40/10 product instead, which would arguably attract people who might otherwise be tempted by Talktalk.     It would cost PlusNet just £1 per month more, which I am sure they could pass on without any significant loss of customers, which would be more than offset by those they gain.

There is a lot of debate in this thread about whether the upload speed is prominently displayed enough, which people counter by saying many people are not interested in upload.   Well I can't see how that argument can be held up when PlusNet have a page headed All you need to know.... and it's not there.  So it makes me believe PlusNet are secretly embarrassed by this poor offering.  If they were proud of it their marketing team would be keen to shout it from the rooftops.  All this for the saving of £1 !

I for one would be willing to pay £1 more for the 40/10 product.

All PlusNet will say is we don't offer it.  So open questions to them:-

Why will you not offer  a 40/10 option to your customers?

Are you embarrassed about the 2 Mb/s upload you currently offer?

What is your response to the fact you are capping this to be just over half the country average?

Why does the All you need to know page not contain this information?

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I disagree with your suggestion that they should make the base product 40/10. There are people for whom 40/2 is absolutely fine and Plusnet could not make 40/10 the base without increasing the price.

What they should do is slot something in the middle, priced mid-way between:

• Unlimited Fibre 40/2
  • Unlimited Fibre Plus 55/10
  • Unlimited Fibre Extra 80/20
ccarmock
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Notice I said Why will you not offer  a 40/10 option to your customers?

I agree it should be added rather than replace, though would suggest they wouldn't lose many if it was the base - my view was to add it as an option as you suggested.