cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does Plusnet advertise upload speeds?

grahamt
Rising Star

Where does Plusnet advertise upload speeds?

I've just been looking at the Plusnet home page. For fibre broadband download speeds are prominently displayed. But I can't see where upload speeds are shown. At what point would a potential new customer see that the upload speed for the 38mb/s package is 2mb/s? It really ought to be obvious before the customer starts the order process.

63 REPLIES 63
gofaster
Rising Star

Re: Where does Plusnet advertise upload speeds?

They show them on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard'.

.Or maybe they hide them in the small print in the "Here's the legal bit" section

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there,

The upload speeds of the package you're interested in would either be in the Here's the legal bit at the bottom of the page, or once you select the package and type in your postcode/home phone number you're advised of the upload there too.

I hope this helps.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ccarmock
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I found exactly the same - they mention them in the legal T&Cs, or after you decide to start the order process.   Both of which seem wrong to me.

They don't even list them in the 'everything you need to know about our packages'

One of the Plusnet team has promised to pass on comments about this to the team responsible, but wouldn't; commit to respond back here.

2 Mb/s is an embarrassment these days in my opinion, and means that Plusnet are offering an upload speed that is below the national average.  In fact it's just above HALF the national average!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

This has been pointed out Numerous threads  that the Upload speed is Hidden !!!

PN will tell you its not ,, its on the page when you start your order Or it is Hidden in the Legal Bit Huh

But they always saw the will pass it on to relevant people ,, Yup NOWT changes .

Some people are not concerned about upload speeds , But them that are should be able to see Download & upload speed on main Page !!!!  Ticked_off

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I have no interest currently in FTTC, but if I was trying to compare packages from various suppliers, of course I'd want to see upload speeds displayed without delving into the legal minutiae or starting the order process.

It seems to me that Plusnet are being somewhat disingenuous in claiming that an important part of the product description is not hidden. Altogether now -

Oh yes it is!

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As has been said this has been asked many times.

Plusnets replies are always the same which interprets to customers can ask but we're not changing nowt.

You'd have thought they would have learned from the hidden small print line rental debacle.

I suppose it will eventually get to be a legal requirement like the above but surely making it obvious what the customer is thinking of buying should be, obvious.

And don't you love the way that after these companies were forced to clean up their act (a bit), it's like it was their idea. Helping customers blah blah. Some pages should have a disclaimer saying "clearer pricing is the direct result of a gun being held to our heads. We had absolutely no intention of changing anything voluntarily,"

"honest broadband from Yorkshire" only exists in a blog.

Good old days?

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

So its pretty clear what you are buying, on the very first page of validating speeds to your specific line it tells you.  Forget that fact its in legal t&c its way more obvious than that, after putting in your tel number to find out what download you can get on the upto 76mb products ( as it could be in the 20-76range so you have to do that to compare to talktalk virgin llu providers etc)

its been debated to death that plusnet could put the upload speed on the 1 page earlier, but they dont hid it when you are buying somethign..

some people want upload, some want to know how many email addreses, some want to know how many ports on the router etc. Everyone wants something different.

in the other upload thread it was debated if plusnet should be offering the 40:10 or 55:10 products instead of 2mb upload etc so no going to reopen that again etc.

attached though its quite clea when you signup you know what you are getting, its one click to get to it so pretty easy To compare to other isps - although that argument is moot as noone seems to advertise their upload apart from zen. Doesnt mean plusnet shouldnt show it but it does mean everyone arguing plusnet should show it so they can compare is not going to help either though.

ccarmock
Rising Star

Would be very easy for Plusnet to fix, simply by adding it to a page pre-sign up.   Virgin media are very open about what their upload speeds are too.

MrSilver
Pro

Where? At  www.virginmedia.com/broadband the only upload speed is on the vividgamer 200 package, but even going theough a signup on 50mb it doesnt tell me obviously that im only going to get 3mb, had to use google to find that out!

ccarmock
Rising Star

Go to http://www.virginmedia.com/

Hover over broadband on the menu bar across the top and click on Broadband speeds  a full table appears.  They list advertised upload and download speeds as well as an indication of what was actually achieved. All displayed well before any attempt at sign up

MrSilver
Pro

But yet nothing on the product page or order page where their advertising puts you....

ccarmock
Rising Star

Agreed it's not perfect but significantly better than Plusnet I think. I find it very odd they have an 'all you want to know' page and don't list it there.

At least Virgin have a broadband menu and it's one link from there.

MrSilver
Pro

Whereas id say plusnet is better telling you on the first page of you specific speeds what you are going to get, virgin makes you fish around the site to fine it, more clicks and less trnasparent.. whenyou compare packages on virgin they cont mention there either.

either way my only real thing im standing up for is not that plusnet do it great or flawless, just that when people say its hidden in legal t&c and they are not transparent with speeds etc is to highlight that is not true. To but broadband from plusnet you firsybgot througha page telling you exactly what you are going to get.

and yes, they could put it elsewhere too, but they do make it clear to all signing up 😀

ccarmock
Rising Star

Agreed it's part of the sign up process, but Would you agree it's a mistake to exclude it from 'All you need to know'  pages?