cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I connect my Router for fibre?

FIXED
Harold1066
Grafter

Where can I connect my Router for fibre?

Hi

I have been a plusnet customer using a non fibre connection ever since my exchange was enabled. For reasons of ease [this would mean installing a CAT5 socket close to my master socket to link to my network] I have not connected my modem/router to the master socket but to a secondary [extension] socket using a replacement faceplate containing a filter.

I am keen to upgrade to a fibre-based service - BT have very kindly installed a new cabinet nearer my house and switched my phone line to this.

My question is:- if I switch is it essential that my modem/router is connected to my master socket or can I continue to use an extension socket? I appreciate that my speed may not be as high as it might be but I am prepared to accept this until such times as I can modify my network.

Thanks

Harold

5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Where can I connect my Router for fibre?

Fix

You can leave things as they are and see what sync speeds you get.

VDSL tends to be less tolerant of extension wiring and speeds are usually lower - Openreach used to fit a filtered master socket when FTTC was first installed, but only do so now when called out to investigate seed issues - but they won't be entering houses until June so you have some time to investigate yourself.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@Harold1066 

If you go down this route then you should have no filter on the master socket or any phone or other extensions wired to the master socket. If you do use the master socket for other connections it might be identified as you having a bridge tap fault on your line.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Harold1066
Grafter

Thanks for your helpful response.

Harold1066
Grafter

Hi Baldrick1

Not sure I understand your response. I have no ADSL filter on my master socket and have nothing plugged into it. I have two extensions both with filters both have phones and one has my modem/router. This works for ADSL and did when I had a phone connected to the master socket. Is fibre different?

I thought you had to have a filter on each socket to enable phones to work.

As I understand it switching to fibre would not require any change to the master socket - so if I was to plug my modem/router into this I would require a filter here and also for the phones on my extensions.

Harold

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@Harold1066 

Yes you need to have filters where you have phones. Having no phone plugged in to the master socket is good. Extension wiring should be connected in a daisy chain configuration. One of the extensions has now taken over the role of master socket, If the two extensions are both fed from the real master socket in a star configuration it’s possible that any testing of your line will identify what is called a bridge tap on your line. This is due to the second extension being tapped off your incoming line before the extension that has now become your master socket. This can reduce your speed. This is likely to be more significant on a fibre connection.

All that you can do is suck it and see.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'