cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will upload speed increase

manninca2

When will upload speed increase

Hi, Ive just joined plusnet from BT, yesterday, 38mb fibre unlimited and was aware of the upload speed of 2mb but i was also informed that this speed would be increasing for new and existing customers starting in november. I was hoping that I would be switched on using the faster upload speed but Im only getting 2mb at the moment. does anybody know when this will be likely to increase for me. Switchover went find and download speeds are good just cannot view my security camera on my iphone remotely with just 2mb upload.

Thanks,

Chris

12 REPLIES 12
fatbellybinky
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: When will upload speed increase

They are moving customers over in batches through November.  I noticed that my router light was flashing orange this morning so obviously today was my day as I now get the improved upload speed (just under 9MBPS as reported by the BT Wholesale site).

JoeMuggs

I got an email telling me that mine had changed over, but it hasn't at all, even after restarting router.  In fact my download speed has dropped!

Racalman
Grafter

My security cameras workied just fine on my Android phone with just 1Mbs upload.

Now I'm on 10Mb/s and I don't really notice the difference.

Mike

manninca2

Hi, thanks for your comment, maybe I’m blaming the upload speed unfairly, I’m getting a message saying network too slow within the hik- connect app that I use. I’ve never seen this message before and the live stream is far from smooth. The app updated on the same day as I switched to plummet. I have no idea what upload speed is required to view a live stream on a 4.0 megapixel camera smoothly on a smartphone?
Racalman
Grafter

That depends how your DVR is set up. I have two cameras. One is 950x576 and has max bitrate set to 2048kbps. The other is 1920x1080 with a bitrate of 3072kbps. Both have a frame rate of 6fps (you don't need more than that for CCTV).

However, both cameras have a substream which is 704x576 and 1024kbps and I think this is what goes over the internet. Have a look at your settings.

manninca2

Hi Racalman,

I have no DVR, my camera connects directly to my router / internet server and records to a 128Gb micro sd installed internally.

I've checked video settings, they are 2688x1520 with 5120 bitrate H264 variable and 20 fps, I believe these are the default settings, I'm reluctant to reduce these because the picture quality is excellent. I feel that the 2.0mb upload is just limiting it slightly maybe 2.5 or 3.0 mb would allow it upload smoothly. Hopefully I will get my upload increased soon and this issue will be resolved.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

That would be about 5.5mbps you need for that stream. Have a mooch over here https://www.cctvcalculator.net/en/calculations/bandwidth-calculator/

Racalman
Grafter

OK those are the settings at which the video is recorded to your SD card, and yes they should give you a very good picture. However, you don't want to be sending that rate over the internet or 4G just for monitoring purposes, which is why DVR systems have a substream at reduced rate. I don't know any more about it than that I'm afraid.

JoeMuggs

Great, so I got an email telling me my speed had increased.

It hadn't.  Online help isn't working so I had to sit for 15 minutes waiting for the call centre, just to be told "your line can't handle it" and 0.5mps is the best I'll ever get.  

Thanks Plusnet. Thanks. 

manninca2

Hi Racalman,

My camera has a sub stream, the settings are 640 x 360  512kps variable bitrate H264 at 15 fps, these settings would be the default, I've not changed them but I don't know how to find out if its using the sub stream to upload to Hikvision's internet server.

There are so many configuration settings I've tried to change as little as possible. I always thought I was not using the sub stream, the picture quality on phone is very good even when zooming in, I'm not sure if it would be at 640x 360 ?

My router disconnected yesterday so I hopefully did a speed test and got brief upload speed of 10Mb but instantly cut back to 1.5 and now is sometimes 2.5 but very variable, I guess there is some line tuning going on and I've been switched to higher upload speed.  With BT I had a rock steady 10Mb upload, I have kept the BT smart Hub 6.0 and I though I would have the same line.  I hope it doesn't take long to settle at around 10 Mb upload ?Huh

manninca2

Thanks  that's a really useful website.

Racalman
Grafter

If you have a substream then it's probably being used. I get excellent definition on my Android phone so that shouldn't be an issue, but you can reduce your bandwidth by slowing the frame rate. You don't need more than 6fps to catch all the action on CCTV.