cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will I get my expected speeds?

lzjoker
Dabbler

Re: When will I get my expected speeds?

Yes I've noticed that if i use 5ghz wireless i will get a true speedtest and consistent download, but if i use 2.4ghz wireless on anything it will not go above 22mbps down even though the wireless router is throwing out a max signal with a 9db booster aerial also connected to the router. very strange indeed Shocked
This is with no channel interference issues either, i'm actually putting out a stronger signal in the house than BT-Fon public wifi Grin
TerryCTR
Grafter

Any suggestions on a decent router, I'm now getting issues with this one not allowing the laptop to connect wirelessly.
Maybe I should have went for the BT deal after all as the router at least looks reasonable
lzjoker
Dabbler

I'm using a TP-LINK TD-W9980 with a Huawei BT modem using the WAN port, and all is working fine (also has a built in VDSL modem onboard), others also use the Billion but i didn't like the idea of not having external aerials, I've removed the centre aerial and connected a TPlink 9db outdoor aerial that i have had for years on mine just to max out the wifi coverage on 2.4ghz in my place Cool
TerryCTR
Grafter

I'd like to say I understand that  Cheesy
I'll do some research online for a decent one to buy as my older router gave me the same connection wired or wireless just about
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: lzjoker
I've removed the centre aerial and connected a TPlink 9db outdoor aerial that i have had for years on mine just to max out the wifi coverage on 2.4ghz in my place Cool

Interesting, the TP-Link website specs for the "Antenna Type" state:
Three 5GHz 5dBi detachable antennas (RP-SMA)
Two 2.4GHz 3.5dBi internal antennas

Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.