cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will I get my expected speeds?

TerryCTR
Grafter

When will I get my expected speeds?

As per the title, surely the line has settled by now.
Not once have I saw the 20 meg upload and the download seems to be settling around early 30meg. Only once did I see it bypass 40 meg.
I was assured I would get the full 40 since it's being capped at that.
Before you ask, yes this is being tested via a wired connection at the master socket.
19 REPLIES 19
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: When will I get my expected speeds?

I've had a quick look at your circuit and all appears to be fine. If you could please provide some details we'll be able to advise further.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
TerryCTR
Grafter

What sort of details?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If you could please provide your line stats it will help fellow community users provide advice. If you could also provide me with speed test results from the BT Speedtester.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
TerryCTR
Grafter

I will post the BT results this weekend I'm still in work at present.
Stupid question no doubt but are you looking for the router info to show the line stats?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Yes that's right. I've seen them, and can post details, but I ask you to post for the visibility in the community so that everyone can help.
The speed tests will help me most (including the further diagnostics option which you'll see) so I can see what we can do next.
If you have any problems, just ask and we'll help you out.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How on earth is the user supposed to provide the line stats when they are on fibre using the BT modem  Crazy
To attempt to address the  original question
If you put your phone number in here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput what is the result for expected speeds both clean and impacted
To apply a little clarity the speeds for the product is up to 40Mbps down and up to 20Mbps up which will depend on the distance from you tpo the FTTC cab
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry about that, not sure why Tony asked for the line stats.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TerryCTR
Grafter

Thanks Jim,
Here is what shows, I was told I can get closer to the 80 meg but that 40 was plenty and they would cap at that so I expect to get fully the download speed.

I am just in from work but I will run the speed test later
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

can you run it wired as wireless is one factor we don't need
To add - the up to 10 days is rubbish - with fibre you get the best speed almost immediately then it ratchets down to get stability
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just been through a line test and the line is connected at the full 80Mb, our profile is set well above 40Mb so there is nothing obvious that I can see causing issues from here.
As Oldjim says, try a wired test and see how that goes.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TerryCTR
Grafter

Sure I was always planning to run the test wired, I will do it shortly and post the results.
TerryCTR
Grafter

This is what Im getting:
Download - 71.77, Upload -14.79, Ping 29.25
Download - 67.65, Upload - 14.67, Ping 25.38
Download - 71.49, Upload - 15.09, Ping 23.38
Download - 73.34, Upload - 14.93, Ping 39.00
Download - 68.03, Upload - 14.71, Ping 31.25
I have ran it a few more times and its always in the region of the above.
I notice on my mobile if I run speedtest via wireless the download is sitting around 37 just now with the upload at 16 and a ping of 23ms.  Now i know that wireless creates issues but I gather having a better router would do me no harm?
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Have you tried changing the wireless channel on the router ?  if to many people in the area are using the same channel as you it can slow the speed down,
as for getting a better router I cant really speak for the wireless side of things on the plusent router because i don't use Wireless for anything major my PC and gaming consoles are all wired I only use wireless on my  phone / tablet for twitter and the odd streaming of youtube Iplayer etc if i'm not near my PC and for that the Plusnet router serves me fine. 
TerryCTR
Grafter

It's set to auto and says it will find the best channel for me