Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is the best time to speed test?

FIXED
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

When is the best time to speed test?

I remember being told the best time to use the internet was "while America sleeps".

Is this true and if so, is that the best time to do a speed test?

Should you also avoid doing a speed test with a cache  or on start-up with Windows 10?

Also is the browser choice important?

11 REPLIES 11
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: When is the best time to speed test?

Hi @Leapy 

FWIW, I get around the same (very good) results on my Fibre Extra any time that I choose, although I have never tried to keep track of when. I run a test a on average probably once or twice a day.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@daveplus I used an automated hourly test and these are the results today on my Fibre Extra. I'm peaking at my top end of my limit down and nowhere near the possible 20mbps up. 

BT testBT testHourly testsHourly testsHourly flowsHourly flows

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Hi @Leapy 

The downstream rate you have is in the standard Fibre range so why are you on Extra?

Have you tried the BT broadband checker at https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/telephoneHome ?

That should give an idea of what is possible for you and would help in deciding whether there might be a fault

Dave

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@daveplus I was on PN Fibre with similar speeds to now. In September, (11 months ago) PN invited me to switch to PN Fibre Extra with the lure of  speeds on its 66Mbps down and 19mps up. The speeds have been erratic, but seldom better than now.

BT Openreach replaced the copper from the green box to the local telegraph post opposite with fibre in November last year and it was flooded and pumped out for several days and it did get a little better for a few weeks and then just fell back again.

This is the report from the BT Broadband Checker and as you can see it is possible to be better, but their tests are no better than mine.

Broadband Availability Checker for my lineBroadband Availability Checker for my line

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Fix

@Leapy wrote:

I remember being told the best time to use the internet was "while America sleeps".

Is this true and if so, is that the best time to do a speed test?

While it might have been true some years ago, India and China have more web users that the USA by far.

But as your speedtests tend to never leave the UK, anytime is fine. I use to do speedtests nigh on daily years ago but now, only when I think there is a problem. Equipment has come on a long way, although one could argue that the phone line is still the same!

But like others, wondering why you are on Extra. You won't get any speed increase if your line is physically incapable of going there. Looks like 40Mb/s is your top whack unless you're on the wrong profile etc.

Edit, just seen your last post. Looks like it might go faster. Are you sure you were swapped over to Extra? Because it doesn't look like it.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@idonno PN Fibre Extra is what all the bills list it as and the extra I'm paying for almost a year now Cheesy ... maybe I'm due a rebate or compensation for mis-selling?Wink

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

In your shoes I would certainly query it 😀. Those stats look a little low.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@idonno I think you have a very good point as the  BT Openreach observed speeds on the line for  30th June show the issue. Maybe someone needs to throw a switch or something?

observerd speeds.png

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

The upload Profile of 20Mb shows that it's on Fibre Extra you won't get that otherwise, fibre unlimited Upload profile is maxed at 10Mb, the issue therefore would be down to a fault of some kind not a wrong profile.

I would raise a fault and get it looked at you can do that here https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Terranova667  Thanks. I have raised the matter with PN as a fault. 😊

@idonno thanks for the speed test info.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Leapy  I hope they sort your line out soon, but I notice you can get FTTP, so as soon as your contract is up if it were me I would be looking to see what deals I could get with that if the internet is important to you..