Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is 78 meg equal to 62 meg?

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

When is 78 meg equal to 62 meg?

I'm 12 days into using plusnet, and since day 1, my *line* speed has been (according to the router) 62 meg down, 18 meg up. It has been that speed very consistently over the 2 weeks.

Broadband speed tests, at best, seem to agree with this line speed.

So I was very surprised to get a friendly email from plusnet today, telling me that my line speed was 78 meg!

Pardon? Are they using a new numbering system I don't understand?

(I started to wonder if they were quoting a combined up AND down speed, but that would have been a little over 80 meg....).

5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: When is 78 meg equal to 62 meg?

Sorry for the confusing email, all that's happened is that our internal system hasn't received an update with your actual line speed. I'll go correct that now.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@paul_blitz

Well your downstream speed is set in 2 places, first by Openreach and then by Plusnet.

You can find your Openreach (BTW IP Profile) at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do (just enter your phone number and click "Run Diagnostic Test"

Your Plusnet Line Speed is shown at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Whichever is the lowest, will limit your speed.

I'm assuming that  you are testing via cable from your PC to the router as WiFi tests are notorious for reporting slow speeds.

If both of these show higher speeds, it might be worth logging on to the router, click "Disconnect" , wait a minute and then click "Connect" as the Plusnet Line Speed is set when the router connects to Plusnet.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well, my PN line speed is showing as this

"Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
21 Mb"
Which is a nonsense! Could someone from PN explain these results?
According to BT, it's this
"Download speedachieved during the test was - 35.67 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-38.67 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 38.67 Mbps"

My speed is not being limited by the lowestRoll_eyes

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The profile on our system is simply set wrong. The estimates will go after a period of time, so that's not something to worry about. I'm going to correct your profile on our side now.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Ah, that second link you give reports my line speed as 62 meg, which is correct!

(The test using the BTW tester show very slow results: ok, so it IS 10am! For comparison, Speedtest.net gives figures about double the BTW ones, but still well lower than line capacity!)

As I said though, I wasn't complaining about the fact  that my line is  running at 62 meg, I was interested to know why the email told me I had 78 meg! And it seems that Chris knows why - thanks Chris