cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When congestion is given as a reason for speed drops, how much is acceptable?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: When congestion is given as a reason for speed drops, how much is acceptable?

I raised a fault ticket on Friday and as per my response at the time I've raised it with QA to investigate.

We've not got an update yet from them but we'll let you know when we have one.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DocDelete
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: When congestion is given as a reason for speed drops, how much is acceptable?

For anyone else following this thread, we're now at the stage where the problem has been put on hold for the third time (firstly until last Monday; then Wednesday; then I've been told that it's on hold again until Monday 22) while BTw investigate the back haul situation. I have a sinking feeling that a positive outcome is a matter of hope rather than certainty.

Glacial performance perfectly in keeping with a broadband service so slow I can see textual webpages load in chunks.

DocDelete
Rising Star

@Gandalf Some progress now would be the only reasonable action - I believe enough time has been allowed to your suppliers. Another throughput chart attached - a week's worth of data, with the problem being present a few weeks before. Please please - a solution?

JDAST_Graph_2018_01_22_09_14_44.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm chasing this up by e-mailing QA and included their line manager in as we haven't heard back since the 12th.

I'll post back when we know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DocDelete
Rising Star

I'm beyond the point where I consider this acceptable. If no good news on the 24th please accept notice from that point that I will be cancelling my Plusnet account. I believe according to recent OFCOM rulings that I will also be elgible for a partial refund on the line rental saver I've already paid. Please proceed to pass this request to cancellations on the 24th if there's no progress.

DocDelete
Rising Star

Oh, yeah, right -  I can't get a partial refund of line rental because prices haven't increased.
But it's okay for Plusnet and BTw to fail to deliver a service - a throughput speed that doesn't even come close to the minimum that BTw itself expects (20Mbps) - and for the customer to keep paying for a full service.

I'd call this the equivalent of constructive dismissal.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The length of time our suppliers are taking to investigate their side I agree is unacceptable.

Sadly, there's not much we can do except e-mail QA and their line manager.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DocDelete
Rising Star

Plusnet have convinced BTw to swap me to another VLAN, just in case, as there seems to be no answer as yet to the slowdown. Here's hoping that some bright spark gets to the bottom of this. I can't be the only customer at my 'node' that is seeing a huge slowdown.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can't be the only customer at my 'node' that is seeing a huge slowdown.

Our suppliers capacity management team are still investigating this, so it is possible the problem lies with their back haul network. We'll let you know when we hear back.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DocDelete
Rising Star

More info: the VLAN change took place last night and all is back up to speed. Presumably this info needs relaying to the QA team so a longstanding solution can be found. Swapping VLANs every few months can't be the way forward can it?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

More info: the VLAN change took place last night and all is back up to speed

I'm really happy that the VLAN move has fixed your speeds again.

Presumably this info needs relaying to the QA team so a longstanding solution can be found.

I've let QA know and hopefully it'll help the investigations that their capacity management team are doing.

Swapping VLANs every few months can't be the way forward can it?

I completely agree. Ideally we don't want to go through this process again.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DocDelete
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf - has there been any more information from BTw? Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Nothing to share at the moment I'm afraid.

It's flagged to the relevant people and the data is being used as part of a bigger picture.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet