cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When congestion is given as a reason for speed drops, how much is acceptable?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: When congestion is given as a reason for speed drops, how much is acceptable?

It looks like we'll need to arrange another engineer visit.

If the problem isn't resolved after the next visit we can look to raise an escalation to BTwholesale.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: When congestion is given as a reason for speed drops, how much is acceptable?

Virgin have their own gear they don't use anything of the Openreach setup, but that said they to can have issues with congestion I know someone that has a 300Mb connection that drops to around 50Mb most evenings sometimes lower than that but someone else that doesn't have any at all and enjoys 300Mb 24/7.  

DocDelete
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Terranova667 Thanks. Music to my ears - "only" 50Mb most evenings is around 20 times faster than what I'm getting with PlusNet!

DocDelete
Rising Star

@Gandalf

Hi - how will another visit help me? Please escalate to BT Wholesale now.

DocDelete
Rising Star

From support: 

Our suppliers have certain criteria which needs to be met before they will accept an escalation.

Raising an escalation after 1 engineer visit will likely be declined I'm afraid.

I have had THREE visits from engineers!!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've responded since that comment. Whilst you've had 3 engineers out, as far as I can see we've only arranged 1 appointment. However I have raised the escalation based on multiple repeat fault reports raised.

We'll follow up on Monday.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
deathtrap
Grafter

My money would be on the SVLAN or another part of BTW's kit ignore what they say, and get them to move you onto another bit of btw kit, their monitoring sucks sometimes

engineers are unlikely going to be of help, (hope you aren't being charged for these visits ) if you are getting offered the TAP3 test  during the periods when throughput is low  the result should be sufficient  evidence for wholesale to  sort it out,  it probably needs escalating within wholesale itself for a proper resolution

hexa
Rising Star

the whole industry is built on fraud and deceit. just look at the amount of threds in these forums about people complaining they are not getting the speeds they were misled into buying.

then they just give you the run around trying to make out like it's your problem and you are to blame. disgusting con man tricks.

everyone needs to come together and take these companies to court and get justice. it's the only real way things will improve as right now they are just laughing at us.

first practical thing you need to do is report them to offcom.

deathtrap
Grafter

Unless a customer is on a full fibre FTTP or it's on demand expensive variant there will never be any guarantees on the speed that an ISP can provide, The copper pair performance is restricted by distance from Dslam to modem along with several other factors beyond the providers control, so any advertised speed will only be an estimate,

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

And even on full fibre FTTP, throughput speeds still aren't guaranteed.

DocDelete
Rising Star

All that is understood. In my case I'm not stupid enough to expect max throughput all the time. What is unacceptable is the size of the drop-off, and the fact that this performance /was/ better.
DocDelete
Rising Star

Latest update:

Plusnet tried to escalate my problem to BTwholesale on Friday afternoon. I was told that this request was refused today, but that Plusnet would try to escalate again.

At this stage I hope Plusnet has enough leverage, as the bulk buyer, to get BTwholesale to look into this. You'd think it would be a mere formality wouldn't you?

I have a service which everyone agrees is well below-par, have had three Openreach visits, and jumped through every testing 'hoop' so we can rule out the obvious.

I'm not sure what will happen from here, but I am sure that I'm feeling more and more undervalued as a customer.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Since my last update by email on your ticket, the escalation was refused a second time round. After raising it a third time and the escalation adviser discussing this with our faults team by phone, I'm advised they've accepted the escalation.

We should hear back within 24 hours.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DocDelete
Rising Star

Thank you @Gandalf - I would love to have some insight on those conversations, and I'm sure I'm not the only one! Especially how the refusals were justified - and then exactly what changed their minds.

Fingers crossed!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We've received notification back that they've accepted the escalation. I've updated your fault ticket, if you can reply to it with your availability for another engineers visit we can get it booked in for you.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet