Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whatver happened to the speed upgrade

FIXED
tolmie35
Grafter

Whatver happened to the speed upgrade

A few months ago I received an email advising my fibre bb speed would be going up to around 50mb. I thought thats great, looking forward to that, well a few months later this has happened as I cant even get the 38mb I should be getting, this actually got worse instead of better. I have raised a issue about it in the chat which plusnet advisor as very kindly end up ignoring after he advised me to reboot my router. Did anyone get this upgrade.

Thanks

26 REPLIES 26
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Whatver happened to the speed upgrade

it wasn't an upgrade as such.
it was changing all the people on the 40/20 package to a 55/10 package.
however you would only see a difference if youe line could actually attain speeds higher than 40Mbps in the first place.
nothing physical was being upgraded, it was simply a package change.

if you were already syncing at under 40Mbps then you would see no speed increase as your line isn't capable of it.
all you would see is a drop in your upstream from 20Mbps to 10Mbps.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

You seem to be ignoring the words 'up to'. If your line will not support 38Mbps then I'm afraid it ain't going to go faster just because PN has increased the top limit from 40 to 55Mbps. However if your upstream speed was greater than 9.5Mbps you will see that this has dropped..

Is the limitation to your speed due to your line or a fault. Have you run the BT wholesale speed checker,.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

While what the others have said is correcct, that you'd not receive higher than 38Mbps if you line wasn't capable of more, the estimates for your line are over 55Mbps, so I'd expect you to be getting more than the less than 38Mbps you've mentioned. Your sync speed is currently higher than this.

I'm just checking a few things on the account and I'll get back to you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

I must say i got annoyed when PN posted  " WE GIVING YOU A FREE UPLOAD "  Shocked

When in fact they should have told people its a package change , and some would get a increase if their line was capable !

Some customers obviously presumed their DL would increase Roll_eyes but in fact all PN did was to cap Upload speed

This was badly handled by PN Sad

Yes some got extra download but ALL got upload capped

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@tolmie35 - Could you try a disconnect/reconnect now. the speed profile of 40 has been correctly increased to 55 now.

As you're line is in sync at higher than this, you should now be getting higher speeds.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@rongtw wrote:

Yes some got extra download but ALL got upload capped

When you say ALL, that's not really fair.

Yes, some people got extra download and yes a lot will have had reduced upload, but you're missing out the others that were getting less than 10Mbps upload anyway? Their upload was not reduced any further than it already was.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
dnpark38
Rising Star

So when are Plusnet going to improve my line and the many others of us that are not reaching the 40Mb that my estimate says I might get?

Also improve so we would get the new version of 55Mb or even so we can choose to pay more and get the up to 80 Mb?

It is annoying we pay the 40/55 Mb  prices, no reductions for our poor quality lines.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
chenks76
All Star

it's not down to plusnet to improve the line.
the line is owned and maintained by openreach.
no ISPs have any control over the physical network.

speak to your local MP if you want to put pressure on openreach to improve the network.
dnpark38
Rising Star

Yes but that is all wrong.

Plusnet take our money do they not and due to Plusnet lack of care for their customers OR get away with murder.

But of course back fires on Plusnet you can see that from customer dissatisfaction shown in these forums.

I wonder what the percentage of PN customers leave at the end of their 18 month contracts?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

chenks76
All Star

plusnet take the money, but a large percentage of that money actually goes to openreach.
anyway, this thread isn't about that. you seem to have hijacked it with your own agenda.
feel free to start your own thread about the concerns you have.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

yes i agree but you cant cap a upload that is already below the minimum Smiley
But you must agree this could have been More openly advertised rather than make people think they a FREE extra download .
Even if it said SOME may get extra would have been better Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
dnpark38
Rising Star

@chenks76 wrote:
plusnet take the money, but a large percentage of that money actually goes to openreach.
anyway, this thread isn't about that. ......

Thread title is "What ever happened to the speed upgrade" and that is what I'm posting about and the fact I have not seen it as the other posters have talked about and we being told it is our phone lines that are the cause hence my post.

tolmie35
Grafter

Can I just update some guys on here, the line can actually received full 80mb, it has been tested, I sit 2 secs from the exchange, nothing to do with the line guys. 

dnpark38
Rising Star

@tolmie35 wrote:

..... I sit 2 secs from the exchange, nothing to do with the line guys. 

From my past reading in Forums I recall being near the exchange does challenge fibre broadband as lines go into the exchange rather than like those of us with fibre cabinets in between. 

Do you think this might be in your case?