cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the point of Wifi if its not giving you good speeds

oatesm
Dabbler

Whats the point of Wifi if its not giving you good speeds

Been with plusnet for a month now and had nothing but trouble. Poor Wifi connection even on wired catch-up tv starts to buffer. Checks have been done and connectivity seems to be ok for a day or so then drops again. I want to cancel my subscription without penalty due to not being supplied with a service I am paying for
6 REPLIES 6
notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Whats the point of Wifi if its not giving you good speeds

The sad fact is, you're not paying for "WiFi". You're paying for a broadband connection, which Plusnet are supplying.

Unlike with Sky, you are free to use your own router with a more powerful antenna should you wish.
liane14
Dabbler

As above.

WiFi is not a god given right as you're paying for an internet connection to the hub. I'd recommend a powerline adapter or wire in a second hub to use as a slave (or two like i did) and that'll enhance things.

Alternatively look at buying a longer adsl cable and relocate to the hub if its not in a central point or is in a place where there is interference. Retentions((for any company for that matter) would never let you walk for free just because wifi signal/range is poor as it cannot be guaranteed with it being a radio frequency. 

oatesm
Dabbler

Ill try a new router.

Can you suggest a good one.

Still getting buffering issues via wired connection so i suspect this must be a poor broadband connection.

Customer services asked me to check connection speed via their BTW test site. i have been and find that the speed fluctuates. Ive been told that i will get a minimum of 42mb but its nothing near that speed.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

what does it say here when you put your phone number in ? http://dslchecker.bt.com/

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
oatesm
Dabbler

Ive attached a picture of the reading

oatesm
Dabbler