cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats going on? No DSL light for 2 days -not just me.

loveridge
Grafter

Whats going on? No DSL light for 2 days -not just me.

Whats happened to the normally excellent service?
Ok, I know this is more likely a BT Openreach issue but I have a ticket raised on 21/9/15 that I have no internet on my FTTC. The DSL light is solid off on the modem and I tried a different VDSL modem and stil no sync. From what I have been told, this means my modem cant see the cabinet even though I still have a dial tone and the telephone is fine.
This isnt a rant at plusnet but I find it frustrating that all I can get in response is that the fault team are testing so please keep my modem plugged in, (even though its not talking to the cabinet so it cant be tested remotely) and an engineer needs to visit- but that this takes up to 48 hours. I am assuming that its Openreach that impose this delay as its their engineers. Does it really take 48 hours to book a BT engineer to check a cabinet?
More worryingly, within days of eachother, one of our work ADSL has done the same and a colleagues home fibre has done the same. Is there a wider issue with Openreach faults, or just co-incidence?
For comparison:
A fault at work I reported back in April was handed fine. I reported the issue, we ruled out our internal equipment over the phone and Plusnet arranged a BT engineer to visit and he turned up on the same day. Whats changed?
11 REPLIES 11
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Whats going on? No DSL light for 2 days -not just me.

Quote from: loveridge
Does it really take 48 hours to book a BT engineer to check a cabinet?
To book one..no. I doubt even PN's customer services take that long to put the request in. However none of us are paying BT enough money to have engineers sitting around in vans waiting for something to do. This means there is always going to be a bit of delay until an engineer becomes available.
A fault at work I reported back in April was handed fine. ... Whats changed?
Nothing. BT does offer a faster response but you have to be on a business package to get that. If you're a residential customer you have to be a bit more patient because you're less important.
Is there a wider issue with Openreach faults, or just co-incidence?
Are they all on the same exchange?
AndyH
Grafter

Which cabinet/exchange is this? Maybe it's a local problem?
loveridge
Grafter

Interesting, Andreu.... the work related outage is a business broadband and we got the 48hr+ wait for BT and not the speedy response as in April. Was logged on Friday 18th and we still havent seen and engineer and plusnet customer services dont seem to be able to give any timescales.
The three issues are in three different towns in Somerset, two are plusnet the other is talktalk, so cant see a link there myself
Andrue
Pro

the work related outage is a business broadband and we got the 48hr+ wait for BT
Who is the telephone line with? Looking at PN's Business page the line rental is only £11 and that's not business rental. Looking at BT's pages show that you have to pay extra for extra care as well:
http://business.bt.com/voice/phone-lines-and-numbers/
BT want £20pcm rental to get a next day fix and £25pcm to get a fix within 6 hours.
loveridge
Grafter

Phone line is with another supplier, not BT or plusnet - the broadband is with plusnet. As the fault is data, not voice shouldnt the business broadband package from plusnet get a higher response?
dick:quote
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I can't help but think that your line has been cross-jumpered with someone else's connection, following a couple of tests on your line. You had sync for a solid 66 days before this.
I have just raised this as a fault for you, but it'll still need an engineer appointment. Are you ok to PM me dates of availability starting from tomorrow?
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
loveridge
Grafter

Just pmd. Can plusnet contact me on my listed phone line to arrange and discuss.
loveridge
Grafter

Great. Just tried calling plusnet and see there is a call wait time of 45 mins! So whats the chances of them calling me?
Andrue
Pro

Phone line is with another supplier, not BT or plusnet - the broadband is with plusnet. As the fault is data, not voice shouldnt the business broadband package from plusnet get a higher response?
Only if they say it does. Some BT business packages offer 'end of next day' service but that seems to be the best you can get. If you want same day fixes you have to have a leased line it seems.
But these times are maximums, not actual. Sometimes you get lucky and an engineer can attend faster. I once reported a fault on my home line and the engineer fixed it within half an hour. Luck of the draw 😕
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Looks like you got in contact with us this morning. Sorry I didn't pick up your PM yesterday.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
loveridge
Grafter

Yes Matty.
Thanks for all the help trying to get this moving forward.
Maybe you can shed some light on this then  :).
If it looks like it is a problem with my line being cross-jumpered, which must have been done without needing to get into my premises so I guess that means its at the cabinet, why cant BT dispatch an engineer to the cabinet and check? Why do I have to be at home taking time off work for BT to check the cabinet?  Cant they check the cabinet, and then if its all good in there make an appointment with me?
All I got from the Plusnet services was that its BT procedure. Because of this, the next convenient time when I am available is 11 days time.
Again, I am not blaming Plusnet - its BT Openreach which I am VERY dissatisfied with. They seem to have the public, industry and ISPs by the short and curlies.  Sad
I am sure if Plusnet were allowed to have their own engineers, it would have been sorted by now.  Wink