cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck has gone wrong with my fibre connection

demonix01
Grafter

What the heck has gone wrong with my fibre connection

I'm not going to go into great detail, but this morning I had a drop out on my internet and thought nothing of it until a little while ago when I tried updating a game and instead of showing around 3.1MB/s it was going no higher then 900KB/s which I thought to be strange and thought it was an issue with the updater until I ran a speedtest and found this.

8.35Mb/s when I should be getting at least 27Mb/s (in fact I should be getting near 40.

I would like this looked into rather quickly before I decide to start calling up and kicking up a stink as this isn't what I'm paying almost £40/month for.

11 REPLIES 11
demonix01
Grafter

Re: What the heck has gone wrong with my fibre connection

And I just had another connection drop with the speeds dropping to 5.94Mbps down and 4.04Mbps up.

Get this fixed or I'll be calling up tomorrow and hell will be five steps behind me.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Plusnet don't know that you have a problem! If the Forum team don't pick this up tonight, run though the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults It takes a bit of your time but costs you nothing, and makes Plusnet aware of your issue. They have to look at it, and the report gets the issue into the queue for action.

There have been problems with the BT speed test (I'm not sure whether they are resolved) but try it with Internet Explorer. If there are still problems, report speeds from an alternative speed test such as at speedtest.net.

Please let us know how you get on.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @demonix01,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing problems with your connection and for any inconvenience that this is causing you.

I've tested your line and the test has picked up an external fault on the voice line. Your fault has now been raised with our suppliers who we work with on Phone issues for further investigation.

They have advised an estimated response time of midnight on the 15th of November. This is an estimate and the issue may be resolved before this point.Our faults team will continue to monitor for updates from them and if they are able to provide an update sooner than this they will do so.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
demonix01
Grafter

I wouldn't even be able to to a test of the line as it appears that no phone I have will even get a dial tone as I just spent £7.49 for a phone only to find that it doesn't get a dial tone like my old phone didn't a year ago that I thought was broken in the move.

At least I know there is an issue that is being looked into.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

You have a line fault, probably one wire disconnected so you will not get any dial tone until it is fixed.

demonix01
Grafter

I had an extended drop of my connection (for at least 10 minutes) but nothing much has improved so I'm not sure if they were working on the line or if this was another random drop out where it just lost DSL sync on the openreach modem for a short while.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

From what I can see an engineer went out this morning and fixed the line fault at the cabinet.

Line tests aren't showing the fault we were seeing before, but they're now showing a high resistance problem "Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report"

I've reported this through to our suppliers as a broadband fault, which should be investigated within the next 3 working days. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
demonix01
Grafter

@Gandalf wrote:

From what I can see an engineer went out this morning and fixed the line fault at the cabinet.

Line tests aren't showing the fault we were seeing before, but they're now showing a high resistance problem "Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report"

I've reported this through to our suppliers as a broadband fault, which should be investigated within the next 3 working days. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

There were a few more drops a few minutes after I posted my last reply which restored the connection back to the speeds I was getting before this, but if that high resistance problem was showing after that it might explain why I've only ever gotten around 25Mb/s down on this line.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @demonix01

Our suppliers tried to call you 3 times yesterday to book an appointment with you - however there did not get an answer. We need to book an engineer visit with you.

Could you please reply to this ticket with your availability? 

Once you have done so, shout up on here and we can handle this as quick as possible.

Thanks,

MoR

demonix01
Grafter

Why would that have to be an engineer visit required when the initial fault has been fixed and the high resistance problem has been reported as a broadband fault while the message I got stated it was for a phone line fault and I don't want any unnecessary charges that I can't afford so if this is not in relation to the other issue found by @Gandalf I do not wish to have this happen since I do not want to be hit with a £65 charge for a fault that is no longer present.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

From what I can see we've simply passed on information received from our suppliers.

Following reporting the high resistance issues as a broadband fault to our suppliers, an engineer went out and advised needs access to your property for end to end testing. 

If you can reply to this ticket https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=184584348 with your availability for an appointment letting us know over here once you've done so and we'll be happy to book it in as soon as we can.

If you'd like to try to rule out the issue being with your internal wiring I'd run through the steps here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242 first.

Thanks.

[edit]

I've updated the ticket with a few other checks you could try first too.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet