cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What speeds can my line handle & is there a reason why I barely get the speeds I'm guaranteed?

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

What speeds can my line handle & is there a reason why I barely get the speeds I'm guaranteed?

Hi there, this is just a post in regards to being intrigued more than anything as although I'm not barely getting the minimum speeds it's been ok to run things I need on it anyway.

However doing various line tests such as with other broadband providers (I'm not switching by the way haha) I have found they have said I can get things like Superfast Fibre on my line which offers 41 - 50 mb download.

I'm currently on Unlimited Fibre which is guaranteed I think at around 34 mb but I usually get around 30 mb on a wired connection (I have seen it a little above and below that at times so on average). This is also without anything running to make sure nothing is using my bandwith up too. 

Can anyone advise as my line is capable of getting higher broadband packages from what I can gather although I don't know if this is misleading from a sales pitch point of view. 

I was just wondering this cause although it's not a problem I would of course like to be getting that little bit of extra speed specially if this is guranteed.

It's just a pure intrigue post that's all so I do look forward to hearing from some of you Smiley

Thanks Smiley

7 REPLIES 7
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: What speeds can my line handle & is there a reason why I barely get the speeds I'm guarantee

@robbieglover2k 

Run your phone number through the following and see what it says in terms of available speeds.

www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Your actual speed may be below the guarenteed speed or may be due to internal wiring. Plug your router directly into the test socket and then check your speeds - this eliminates any internal wiring from the equation.

Brian

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: What speeds can my line handle & is there a reason why I barely get the speeds I'm guaranteed?

Hi @robbieglover2k

Nice to hear from you again.

This is actually an easy one to answer!

Your line is capable of up to 71mb/s

The current package you're on allows up to 40mb/s

If you were on Fibre Extra, your package would allow speeds up to that 71mb/s. However, if you're not hitting the 40mb/s mark on your current package I'd be wary of upgrading needlessly.

The minimum guaranteed speed on your line is 34mb/s - as you're not getting that I can see that we've raised a fault ticket for you here and that we're currently awaiting your availability for an engineer. If you let us know when you've responded to that ticket, we'll ensure it's picked up.

Take care

Dave

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Re: What speeds can my line handle & is there a reason why I barely get the speeds I'm guarantee

Thank you Brian @bmc Smiley

It's not a problem as such as like I say it's all running fine but it was just something I was wondering. My router is plugged into the socket however I got this with the results Smiley

Line Results.png

It also says this at the bottom Smiley

"FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Thank you for your interest."

It's just a pure intrigue thing for me really as like I say it's running fine for the things I need it to anyway but obviously if there is something where I can be sure to get the minimum guranteed speed then I would love that Smiley 

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

@RandallFlagg wrote:

Hi @robbieglover2k

Nice to hear from you again.

This is actually an easy one to answer!

Your line is capable of up to 71mb/s

The current package you're on allows up to 40mb/s

If you were on Fibre Extra, your package would allow speeds up to that 71mb/s. However, if you're not hitting the 40mb/s mark on your current package I'd be wary of upgrading needlessly.

The minimum guaranteed speed on your line is 34mb/s - as you're not getting that I can see that we've raised a fault ticket for you here and that we're currently awaiting your availability for an engineer. If you let us know when you've responded to that ticket, we'll ensure it's picked up.

Take care

Dave

Oh yeah, ignore that ticket Dave. Yesterday I was having a lot of bad outages, we had 7 drops during the day and throughout the evening where the router was going red and eventually going back blue again (it's been absolutely perfect and solid up until yesterday) however when I looked on Twitter and on downdetector website I saw all my area was red on the map, there was a 98% of broadband reports on there (which I've never seen it that high) so after the third or 4th drop I called Plusnet up just to kindly ask if they had any insights on this and he did say that he found there was a BT Openreach issue somewhere.

I did say to him on the phone I don't want an engineer out (I always find it very daunting when they say they may charge us) and also with the fact that you'd had a ton of reports on the site, the social media posts and him saying how it was a BT Openreach issue then it was pretty obvious it wasn't Plusnet but more so a BT Openreach issue. 

Sky also (who I believe use BT Openreach) had around 87% of reports around the same time too. 

I did say to the guy on the phone I don't want you to book an engineer because it looks likely this is the issue and I'd rather wait it out to see (which by the way today has been perfect!!) but then I got a text this morning asking me to reply to it to book an engineer which I didn't want. 

I did call Plusnet again this afternoon and the guy kindly asked me to ignore the text message so that's all it is really Smiley

I only called after the 3rd or 4th drop to get some insight and also my brother was a bit upset because he was applying for a job where he had to do this online test and it dropped again resulting in him failing the test and not being able to get the job.

I think the last time it dropped was early hours this morning, the drops were around 2 - 5 mins a time outage and then it would just go back blue again on the router but it's been absolutely perfect today.

I hope this helps Smiley

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear that this has improved, Robbie.

Don't worry about the engineer thing - the ticket will remain open for 14 days and then auto-close if you don't respond (I'll leave it open for now, just in case).

Let me know if there's anything else you need.

Cheers

Dave

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @RandallFlagg and can I also say thank you for always being there to help too, you honestly do provide such a great service and I sincerely appreciate you!!

Thank you, truly!! Smiley

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

My absolute pleasure, Robbie.

Have a great night, man.

Dave