cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What speed should i be getting?

puglord1973
Grafter

What speed should i be getting?

I've been on the Unlimited Fibre broadband since 27/08/2014 and i'd like someone to confirm what upload and download speed i should see......yes i know about loss over WiFi etc.
16 REPLIES 16
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: What speed should i be getting?

it depends on your line.
what does https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed say?
post your router connection stats.
puglord1973
Grafter

Over 30 views and knowbody knows  Huh
Just to expand a little i was getting approx 38 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload.
After checking on BT Wholesale site i could see that my upload profile was set to 2 Mbps so i called PN to raise a ticket as i believed i was on 38 Mbps down and 19.5 up as advertised here: https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/fibre/
A few days later i got a text saying my problem was fixed so i check my upload speed and i was getting ~9.5Mbs which lined up with BT Wholesale which now had my upload profile was set to 10 Mbps.
I called back saying that i should be on 19.5 Mbps as advertised but i'm being told that I'm on upto 40Mbps on the download and upto 10Mbps on the upload.

Can someone else who is on the standard unlimited fibre and joined around the same time as me what they download speed is?
puglord1973
Grafter

Quote from: chenks76
it depends on your line.
what does https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed say?
post your router connection stats.

Telephone number: XXXXX
Phone exchange:WILLOWCROFT
Estimated line speed:40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-08-27 10:38:47Current line speed: 38.6 Mb
I dont know if this has anything to do with the issue but the telephone number quoted isnt mine? Maybe the previous owner as i've only recently moved (27th Aug)
adie:green remove personal phone number.
chenks76
All Star

everyone's speed will be different as it depends on your particular line.
the downstream and upstream are "up to" products, so the actual speed you get can vary greatly even between neighbours.
if the number is wrong on the plusnet portal then you need to get that resolved ASAP.
the profile on the BT website should match the plusnet portal, if the plusnet portal is showing lower then plusnet need to update it.
the BT website profile is what your line is currently capable of. DLM will adjust that accordingly if it feel it can.
puglord1973
Grafter

Just called PN and they said i should be on 40/20 as advertised and my IP profile is set incorrectly i.e 10Mbps instead of 19.5Mbps
chenks76
All Star

so they have fixed the profile then?
if they have then drop your connection and re-connect to see the changes.
that doesn't fix the problem regarding the wrong phone number though.
that needs sorted.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@puglord1973, can you post what the BT Wholesale Performance Tester reports your Downstream and Upstream IP profiles as now please?
Maybe nothing but I'm curious/suspicious about the previously reported 'Current Line speed' of 38.6Mbps (if that's what it's still reporting) - that's about what I'd expect for a sync speed of 40Mbps but Plusnet 40/20 is provisioned with 80/20 sync profiles on BT systems (though actual sync is dependent on line distance from the FTTC cabinet and line quality) it's just slightly suspicious to me that it's so close to the figure expected with a 40Mbps sync (BT IP profile for 40Mbps sync is normally 38.7Mbps which would give a Plusnet profile of 38.6).  It could be coincidence of course.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: puglord1973
I dont know if this has anything to do with the issue but the telephone number quoted isnt mine? Maybe the previous owner as i've only recently moved (27th Aug)

That's strange. That was the number associated with your account prior to your house move earlier in the year. It's not actually causing any issues though.

Your line does seem to have provisioned on the 40/10 service, I'll place a modify to move this to the faster upload, this should complete tomorrow.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
puglord1973
Grafter

Quote from: w23
@puglord1973, can you post what the BT Wholesale Performance Tester reports your Downstream and Upstream IP profiles as now please?
Maybe nothing but I'm curious/suspicious about the previously reported 'Current Line speed' of 38.6Mbps (if that's what it's still reporting) - that's about what I'd expect for a sync speed of 40Mbps but Plusnet 40/20 is provisioned with 80/20 sync profiles on BT systems (though actual sync is dependent on line distance from the FTTC cabinet and line quality) it's just slightly suspicious to me that it's so close to the figure expected with a 40Mbps sync (BT IP profile for 40Mbps sync is normally 38.7Mbps which would give a Plusnet profile of 38.6).  It could be coincidence of course.

IP Profile for your line is - 38.72 Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps
puglord1973
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Quote from: puglord1973

That's strange. That was the number associated with your account prior to your house move earlier in the year. It's not actually causing any issues though.

Your line does seem to have provisioned on the 40/10 service, I'll place a modify to move this to the faster upload, this should complete tomorrow.

Thanks Chris  Smiley
Chris
Legend

Keep an eye on it and let us know if the upload doesn't improve tomorrow.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
puglord1973
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Keep an eye on it and let us know if the upload doesn't improve tomorrow.

Just checked this afternoon and i can see my upload IP profile is now 20 Mbps  Cheesy
.....but i'm not getting that  Cry
Chris
Legend

Looking at the estimates for your line, that's actually around what I'd expect. I'm just going to run a quick test to see what your upload is synced at.
Chris
Legend

Everything looks correct, the profile on the upstream is 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving Off and your line is connecting at around 10Mb which gives the speeds you've seen.