cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What speed should I get?

Loon
Grafter

What speed should I get?

I have had Fibre for almost a year but only seem to have an 11M connection.

How do I find out what it should be?

Best download speed I get is 1.3m/s and upload 500k.

My old copper line used to be 7M and

19 REPLIES 19
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: What speed should I get?

What does the BT Speed estimate show at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

What does the Plusnet Line Speed show at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Are you testing the line speed using WiFi to the router or a cable from the PC?

Can you run the BTW Speedtest and show the results from http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do . Just enter your phone number to run it. Do not change any details on your router even if the test pages says to.

Please ensure that any results you display here are edited to remove any identifying information like phone number, your IP address, your Plusnet username.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Loon
Grafter

Thanks for the reply

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transf​er_speed  I am work at the moment so cannot show you the results but last night when I ran it I had 10.6 down and 450 up.

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transf​er_speed Shows 11.6 but no estimated line speed.

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTe​sterWS/diagnostics.do Cannot do that but when the engineer came a while back he thought a 30M connection should have been realistic speed for my line.

I have seen faster than 11M but still think the up and down speeds have never been as good as they should and thinking that the system is throttling the line.

Rob

SpendLessTime
Hero

The performance tester show the speeds that BTW think the line will run at and has the IP Profile range as part of the results.

All testing should be done via cable connections from the PC to the router as WiFi results are too variable , ditto home plugs.

If either the BTW IP Profile results shows the download speed is in the red or the test download speed is less than the FTTC B range from the estimates, then log a fault at faults.plus.net

Loon
Grafter

I used to 7Mbps on my old copper line that ran the best part of 2km back to the echange. The Fibre runs 900m to the new box.

Why so slow?

Download speedachieved during the test was - 10.97 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 8.17 Mbps-11.68 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 11.68 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 2.29Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

SpendLessTime
Hero

FTTC signals degrade faster, over shorter distances than ADSL due to the frequencies used. So the speed to distance curve is different.

You are unfortunately getting speeds within the BTW IP Profile and I guess the BT Speed Estimate too. So Plusnet will not necessarily see a fault and will not refer to Openreach based purely on speed.

Have you tried to see if there is a phone fault? The Plusnet guide is http://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/ , also there is the Quiet Line Test where from the phone master socket dial, using a corded phone, 17070 and select option 2 for the quiet line test. If there are any pops, clicks , buzzing noises then log a phone fault using the link to the trouble shooter from the guide linked above.

patti
Grafter

Hi Loon, sorry to hijack your post (I hope you don't mind) .. just wanted to run something past SpendLessTime as he is very knowledgeable (hope that's ok too..)

@ SpendLessTime .. I just ran a test because my speeds are so erratic and I would like to ask your opinion on the results please. It is showing Range B as impacted.. does this mean there is a fault at the cabinet?

http://screenshot.co/#!/d7e29b7806

SpendLessTime
Hero

@patti

The word "Impacted" is used by BTW to describe FTTC lines where there has been no engineer to install the FTTC link to the premise, i.e. a self install as per Plusnet currently.

If an engineer installed the FTTC, they should have performed checks on the line from the house and fixed any faults found so the FTTC Range would be the "clean" one.

The self install does not mean that your line is not capable of getting the speeds shown in the clean range, indeed several people have posted here to show that, just that you should at a minimum get the speeds from the impacted range.

patti
Grafter

Thank you SpendLessTime for your reply. I hope that Plusnet sort my problem out soon I spoke to customer services earlier and they said I should get some feedback tomorrow.. fingers crossed . 

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@SpendLessTime wrote:

@patti

The word "Impacted" is used by BTW to describe FTTC lines where there has been no engineer to install the FTTC link to the premise, i.e. a self install as per Plusnet currently.

If an engineer installed the FTTC, they should have performed checks on the line from the house and fixed any faults found so the FTTC Range would be the "clean" one.

The self install does not mean that your line is not capable of getting the speeds shown in the clean range, indeed several people have posted here to show that, just that you should at a minimum get the speeds from the impacted range.

that is not correct the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions. ( info taken from the BT dslchecker which states this underneath the ranges that you are given) it has nothing to do with what type of install is being or has been done.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

With respect to @SpendLessTime, I don't think that explanation is correct.

Impacted lines are more attributed to cross talk, bridge tap faults, interference etc.

The estimate we have provided upon point of sale has always been the impacted measure well before we offered out self-install.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
SpendLessTime
Hero

Well I'm willing to be corrected. Cannot be right all the time Wink

Loon
Grafter

Ok back on target.

I understand what you say about the BT stats being correct for what I am getting but I do feel the line should be faster.

My initial speed last year was giving a 30Mbps connection and it was working pretty well. I then had a noise problem on the phone line that was fixed. the problem is the tinternet connection since then seems to have beed capped to , well what it is now. [-Censored-]!

How can I find out if I am being capped or the line is as bad as the connection I am actually getting?

Please remember I am paying £10/m extra for an mere 3Mps boost. To me that is not cost effective.

Not saying it is connected but I agrred to a small reduction in fees for another 12 or was it 18 month extention to my contract. My expected speed went from 30 to 10 hrrm?

Also please do not ask me to raise a ticket as I am not looking at a fault but some sort of bandwidth restriction!

Rob

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi Rob,

We're certainly not capping you to anything other than 40/2, you're currently syncing at 12.1Mbps.

Also please do not ask me to raise a ticket as I am not looking at a fault but some sort of bandwidth restriction!

Funnily enough, I've just tested your line and it seems to reflect that there might be an external issue causing your speeds to suffer. If you do raise a fault ticket at faults.plus.net, our suppliers should be able to improve things a little bit. Appreciate I'm just saying the opposite of what you have asked.

From investigation it seems like crosstalk has played it's part since you originally signed up. By chance, do you know how long fibre was available before you ordered it?

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Loon
Grafter

HI Matty

Thanks for your reply.

I pretty much ordered as soon as they installed the cab and made fibre available to us poor back to the exchange folk.

Out of interest what is crosstalk?

Will log a ticket.

Thanks

Rob