cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the deal with routers?

khaled35
Rising Star

Re: What's the deal with routers?

@Townman incidentally, both sockets looked identical to me and have the same letters across the top. Maybe the internal parts are different, but I wouldn't know.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

If it is the very latest NTE5, the face plate should come off with a gentle squeeze and reveal another phone socket - that is the test socket.  Any internal wiring to other sockets should be connected to the faceplate.  I have though seen them installed incorrectly, the extension wiring being taken off the back of the backplate thereby totally defeating the purpose of the isolation point.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

@Townman, the DLM doesn't seem to have been touched by the engineer, though when I tested the line earlier this morning the profile looked okay. I've already confirmed this with @khaled35 via a support ticket, but I'll be keeping an eye on the connection over the coming days and if anything further needs to be done, I'll get right on it Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
briston
Aspiring Pro

You mention customer loyalty. Plusnet do not operate customer loyalty, charging more to renew a contract than it you were a new customer.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

It's quite simple - PlusNet have a basic price with which they calculate then can make a profit.

As part of their overall costs they probably have a marketing budget to attract new customers - hence the discount.

If everybody got the new customer price then PlusNet would probably go bankrupt. It'll be the same in any business where now customers get better prices than existing ones.

Brian

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

khaled35
Rising Star

@bmc running what amounts to a subscription based business isn't just about attracting new customers. Customer retention is also a major factor.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

True.

But doesn't change the basic fact if a company dosn't charge enough for it's basic product it'll get into financial difficulties.

Brian

Moderators Note: Full quote of preceding post removed.

stevewx
Grafter

@khaled35 

It sounds like your line has been 'banded'.  Happened to me 2020 into 2021.
My U/L speed was always 19999

My connection speed was up to 76000, but my D/L NEVER went above 59999.

Opnreach visited, could not understand, Explained line banding, and I did have a fault report from lusnot says 128k-60M.
Talked the engineer into calling India.  It was fixed by that signal phone call. My need for an enginner to come and scratch his head.  He went away happy as he had learned something he could use.

Get Plusnet to down a line test, then read the report.  Does it say 128k to 55M or similar?

And a month ago I talked Plusnet into sending my out the latest router for just £6.99 P&P.

Currently line is connected at 80005 and D/L is 78362.  The new router is better than anything I saw with a couple of Home Hub One's.

I'd call and for a Hub 2, sort of pester in a nice way and don't give up.  Also check any line test results.  They will be in the Ticket sent as a reply.

Good luck,

Steve