Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's happening to my move to Fibre ?

llinos
Hooked

What's happening to my move to Fibre ?

Hello,

My daughter's broadband has been giving trouble lately, extremely slow downloads but no connection most of the time.   A PlusNet CS person told us the line is marginal and says we should move over to Fibre.  Now her broadband has worked for years without any problems so if I was a cynic I'd be thinking this is just a ruse to get her to upgrade - and put more money in PN's coffers....   However as my grand daughter urgently needs reliable internet for some work she is doing I have made arrangements to upgrade.  I paid £6.99 (P&P for the router?) and I was to told she'd move over to Fibre on the 18/06/2018.  I have heard nothing since.  Now as this is only 4 days away and I presume BT will require access I am becoming rather concerned as I need to make arrangements for someone to be at the house.   Can anyone at PN help pse?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: What's happening to my move to Fibre ?

BT openreach don't normally need access to the property for a fibre upgrade. Everything is changed over in the street cabinet.
llinos
Hooked

Shep41 - thanks for that.

When I was updated to fibre at my own address BT Openreach came and set it up hence my assumption they would need access.to my daughter's...

llinos
Hooked

Thinking back, BT Openreach definitely came here when I updated to Fibre, probably 3 or 4 years ago, there were 2 guys a ‘doer’ and a ‘looker’…  Plusnet had sent me a router and the BT Openreach guys bought along a second box which went between the PN box and the BT master socket.  Maybe the router which PN are sending my daughter will replace both boxes hence no need for a visit?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

BT did visit the property to install FTTC in the past as they supplied the BT Openreach modem which connected to the Plusnet router Now it's changed to self install, PlusNet supply a combined modem/router so just the one box to plug in to the phone socket with a filter if necessary.

llinos
Hooked

RealAleMadrid - thanks for your input.

That explains it, at least now I know how things happen.  I wish the appropriate PN web page had explained what was involved with a fibre update, it would have saved us a bit of worry - but perhaps its all on there and I missed it!  I'll call my daughter this evening to check if the PN router has arrived.  Can anyone tell me what router PN are presently supplying, I presume set up details etc will be on one of their pages, that way I can do some homework.  Thanks for your help.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

It should be a Hub One which is basically a modified BT HH5a. It has a self set up program on it so should connect automatically.

However, the WiFi SSID will be different so all devices will need to be re-connected.

See the following for Help

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/

Brian

llinos
Hooked

That's great.  Just reading up on the Hub One and it all looks plain sailing. The cabinet is only a few hundred yards from the house so hopefully it will all work.  The daughter's internet has been off for weeks and both she and the kids have been using their mobiles - while I pay PlusNet!  Thanks again to all who helped.

llinos
Hooked

Well the Hub One duly arrived, all we need now is to be connected to fibre..  We were scheduled to be up and running on Monday, then it was yesterday, today's Wednesday and we're still waiting... we've had no internet access for some weeks so hey - what's a few days !!! 

Hopefully it will all be worth it.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Thank you for confirming that you've received your Hub One, I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing connection issues.

I've checked and the fibre upgrade has completed, but it hasn't resolved the dropping connection issue. I've tested your line again and the test is now showing as "inconclusive." I've raised this over to our suppliers for further investigation and our faults team will contact you once we have received an update on this, which should be within 72 hours.

I'm sorry for the length of time that this issue has been ongoing and for the inconvenience that it has caused.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team