cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's going on with my connection? Speeds all over the place (again!)

Zak
Dabbler

What's going on with my connection? Speeds all over the place (again!)

Since the 21st March my download and upload has been all over the place, could my line and setting be checked please?  I've had similar issues in the past that sort of went away, no faults were ever found. Generally I've been happy with plusnet and been with you for a few years, but I'll have to move on if this doesn't improve.

The first image shows the fluctuations in speed, green is download purple is upload. As you can see it's all over the place, but compare that to the 2nd which is from the start of the month,  and the 3rd image which is from 20th Feb (speed tests taken every 45 minutes) you can clearly see something has changed.

speed3.JPG

speed4.JPGspeed5.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: What's going on with my connection? Speeds all over the place (again!)

if you're running tests every 45 minutes I'm assuming these are automated, if that's the case how are you pausing all other traffic running over your connection as this will impact the results.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Zak
Dabbler

No, hence the general fluctuations however this would be an issue all of the time and wouldn't account for the generally smooth speed graphs. The average speeds smooth this out, but you can clearly see over the past week smoothing it out results in graphs that don't match the past 6 weeks.

Here is the graph since midnight. No uploads, I was asleep and I have data showing about 60Mb *total* upload, about 500Mb total download over this period, mostly Hive for heating and alarm monitoring. 

For completeness, the bottom graph shows the total traffic in and out of my plusnet connection, it can't go any other route this is the switch connected to WAN1 on my router. 

speed6.JPG

Zak
Dabbler

This graph, doesn't let me add another pic when editing post. 

speed7.JPG

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

All the diagnostic checks I've just been running have passed fine. Do you connect over WiFi? If so can you test over ethernet to see if the same issue happens?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Zak
Dabbler

Thanks for checking.

I'm not using wifi.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No worries, 

I'd make sure you've eliminated all the checks here next https://goo.gl/tu2WWu following that it would be a good idea to report a fault at http://faults.plus.net

Let us know when you have. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team