Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What restricts Upload Speed?

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

What restricts Upload Speed?

I am on FTTC and get 20Mbs download.  I am happy with this as the cabinet us quite a way away. I do however only get 1.3Mbs upload speed which seems disproportionately slow. over the same wires. This is barely faster than I was getting with ADSL.

Is there a known reason for this imbalance?

18 REPLIES 18
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Re: What restricts Upload Speed?

Upload.JPG

@Gandalf 

There seem to be quite a few people with this problem and none of us have received an answer.

Is there somebody at PN who can [rovide a solution to  the problem?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@TeeGee  the ip profile is showing as 10Mbps, so not the same as other who were wrongly provisioned on the 40/2 profile.

Without seeing your router stats and results of the dsl checker BT Broadband (btwholesale.com) you probably just need to move closer to the cabinet.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@Mustrum

On the basis that it is the same piece of wire up as it is down I would have thought that distance would not have such a dramatic consequence in relation to my profile.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Ah well, alas thinking has let you down in this case - if only telecoms was that simple.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Surely it must be down to the vendor's application of a physical constraint. Consider, you can get various speed offerings on the same wire and hardware over the same distance thus negating the hardware. i.e. 40/10, 80/20, 350/120 

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hey @TeeGee, similar to your download speed, the upload speed is also dependant on the distance you are from the local Telephone Exchange, quality of your line, and other factors too. We do offer three separate broadband products which will offer different upload speeds. For instance, our Unlimited Fibre product offers upload speeds of up to 10Mbps, while Unlimited Fibre Extra offers 20Mbps.

-Hope this helps.

-Adam

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@adam945 

-Hope this helps.

Sadly. Not Much!  Line length is relevant as it restricts my download speed. I am not argueing with that and paying more would not improve the situation.  The relationship between down and up is normally 4/1 which means the line should deliver 5 in an upward direction as it is the same piece of wire. As it does not there is clearly a  restricting of the speed other than line length.

I find this situation less than satisfactory.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@TeeGee  In theory you are right with the upload/download ratio's, but it does not always work out. @adam945  answer is very disappointing, vdsl speeds depend on the distance to the cabinet, not the exchange, and as you say paying more would not get any higher speeds.

However, a speed test alone only gives a partial answer, which is why i asked for at least the dsl check results from your phone number. That will help determine if you have a fault, or your test device is not showing the correct picture.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@Mustrum 

As requested.  These figures seems to vary every time I run a check as the VDSL download is now lower than my profile and actual.  The speed test is from ThinkBroadband which is consistent for Download but looks even lower for Upload. All tests are wired not wifi.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Thanks @TeeGee 

Alas that does not add any more hope, it just confirms you are a long way from the cabinet, and getting expected speeds - don't forget it is sync speeds that isp's quote, not what you get on a speed test., 

It is a shame you did not show the rest of the table, it would have completed the picture, and if you were very lucky might show WBC FTTP. Unless there are any other fibre providers in your area you are a bit stuck for now.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@Mustrum

I still think 1Mbs upload is unacceptable even if the cabinet is in the next village!! Barely more than wet string.

There are no FTTP providers other than Virgin and to see the mess they made installing it next door is weough to put me off for life.

Hey ho....☹️

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@TeeGee 

If you have a hub that will run DSLStats then the results would be very helpful. The following picture shows you results from a good line:

dsl tones.jpg

This shows the different bands of tones (or frequencies) allocated to upstream and downstream transmissions. As you have a fairly poor connection, probably due to the length of line, you will find that a large number of tones, especially at the high end are low or none existent. If at the same time your line is picking up narrow band noise that happens to be in the same band as the upstream tones then it's quite possible that the upstream speed is a lot lower than the expected upstream/downstream ratio that you get for a good line.

If this is the cause of your issue then finding the source could be a lengthy nightmare of a job. At least dslstats might give you a starting point to see if there's a frequency band of missing tones so you might be able to do a bit of searching with an old analogue radio yourself.

I keep an unlocked Huawei HG612 in my cupboard so that I can use this as a modem and run dslstats should I ever encounter this sort of problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@Baldrick1 

That was a most interesting reply and satisfying in that it increases one's knowledge too.

I don't think that the speed can be significantly increased and I will probably have to learn to live with it. The copper lines on my estate are generally "iffy" over 50 years old and it would be a major job to replace everything.

I am currently looking at a HH6 on eBay and wonder if that might make any difference. It is not that my demands are great but it would be nice to be a little bit more up with the game.

It is also quite irritating that my son who does not live far away has moved onto PN 40/10 FTTC and is getting 38/9 from day one! At least he will not want to buy a house too near us!!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@TeeGee I've been testing your line and the tests are showing a Loop (Rectified) and a high resistance fault, these may be two separate faults or they could be the same. It looks like last month we arranged a phone engineer visit but the notes we've got advise they didn't find a problem, so I'd recommend we arrange a broadband engineer next.

I suspect this may be impacting your speeds in some way and hopefully once fixed you'll see an increase. If you can raise a broadband fault at faults.plus.net and post back after, we'll pick the ticket up as soon as we can and make sure a broadband engineer's arranged with you to investigate further.

I've attached a copy of our testing below if you're interested in seeing it:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [redacted BBEU]

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1613
Description Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 23.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 1.2 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1652.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-02-07T15:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 23.3 Mbps 23.3 Mbps 23.3 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 1.1 Mbps 1.1 Mbps 1.1 Mbps
Up Time 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2021-02-20T15:00:15Z 2021-02-20T15:15:15Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet