cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the magic "Extra" in "Unlimited Fibre Extra (UFE)"?

Leftshark
Dabbler

What is the magic "Extra" in "Unlimited Fibre Extra (UFE)"?

I upgraded my account with Plusnet when our nearest cabinet was moved to "Superfast" broadband. That was years ago but I seem to recall telling everyone I was getting 5Mb/s downloads so equating to around 40Mb/s (bits).

Roll on to just recently and my download speeds must have slowed over the years as they seemed to be averaging around 32Mb/s. So I asked to move to UFE and now appear to be getting - you guessed it - 40Mb/s.

So can anyone explain how Plusnet managed to add a new "Extra" account with greater speed than the "standard" account?

If improved circuitry was added to the cabinet I can accept that but don't think this is the case. There does seem to be some magic involved!

8 REPLIES 8
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: What is the magic "Extra" in "Unlimited Fibre Extra (UFE)"?

There is no magic, Fibre is limited to 40/10, extra up to 80/20, but in each case only if your line is capable and close enough to the cabinet.

What is your line capable of, post the results of entering your phone line in the dsl checker?  BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

Leftshark
Dabbler

Hi @Mustrum - thanks for the reply and I'll do the DSL check first thing in the morning.

So when the cabinet was upgraded two connections were available (40/10 and 80/20) depending on line and distance to cabinet? 

I wish I had kept better records but I can't remember getting a choice at the time - if I had I would have gone for the best.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@Leftshark  The main thing to learn, is that your speeds depend on how far away from the cabinet. The dsl checker will let you know. However poor wiring, interference and so can reduce speeds. 

Staff would normally check before you were offered the higher speeds, however I am not sure the system checks if you upgraded via the member centre.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

It’s possible that your speed may had been banded/artificially restricted for one reason or another by the equipment at the cabinet but when you upgraded to fibre extra, that probably did a DLM reset. 

Leftshark
Dabbler

Please see below. I hope it's readable.

If you can explain some of the findings I'd be grateful

Mustrum
Community Veteran

It shows your line is capable of between 40 and 66Mbps, and the observed speeds show your router is in sync at 48 download, 16 upload, so you are on fibre extra.

Your earlier speed tests will depend on what you use, anything else using the internet when you test, wifi or ethernet and so on. Connecting the router to a filtered master socket will ensure you get the best speeds, but if you are still using a dangly filter, then using that in your test socket could be the next step, if you have extensions in the property. 

Leftshark
Dabbler

Hi and thanks for having a look at my DSL results. Also appreciate the tips for best speed.

I've spent some time trying to find when I moved to a 'fibre' product. The Help Assistant messages only go back to mid-2017 and coincidentally my webmail messages also goes no further back than 2017! Plusnet billing history is only available online to Dec 2019. I'll have to go back to Bank records. 

I still feel there was only one Fibre product (80/20?) at the start and at some stage the product was split into 40/10 and 80/20 and I happened to be put into 40/10. A Plusnet historian is needed with a speciality in the broadband product offerings over time.

FWIW I started with a Force9 dial-up account so have been with 'Plusnet' from early days but don't keep good records! I should add that I moved to 'Fibre' at my current address so nothing has changed at my end of the connection

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@Leftshark  ok, so I am not a historian in any way, but some info that may help.

When FTTC was first deployed, an Openreach "engineer" would come along and fit the modem, and install a filtered master socket, thus isolating any extensions helping getting the maximum sync speeds. Alas this stopped after a few years, and they only get called if customers complain of slower speeds than expected. 

So it does not really matter when you joined, but do you know have a modern master socket with separate phone and data sockets, or are you having to use a dangly filter? 

How are the speed tests being done? 

Are you looking to improve sync or speed test results?