cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the likely solution for getting faster broadband?

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

What is the likely solution for getting faster broadband?

As broadband speeds increase, we are limited with current technology where speed falls off over distance, what will be the likely solution to this trying to use current infrastructure (or perhaps that will be abandoned)?
Can copper be "retransmitted" somehow by a "booster" along its length powered by the phone voltage? Obviously this would need to filter the signal and send it on clean.
Just wondering where we go next? I'm not as impressed with VDSL2 as I once was since it has slowed by 60 odd per cent,  although that might just be local conditions and I'm not seeing the true picture.
3 REPLIES 3
AndyH
Grafter

Re: What is the likely solution for getting faster broadband?

Boosters are a possibility for longer lines.
In your case though, are you still using the Asus modem/router? I personally would never use the modem on this router until I knew it was stable with the OR network.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

There are already solutions being introduced be it very slowly and currently with problems, G.IINP is the start this helps to block out noise interference on a line one of the main causes for DLM to act and increase interleaving and or apply banding to stable a line this of course is at the expense of Speed.  As you may have seen already for those with working G.INP they get less latency and a small boost in speed.  
The next step after that was for Vectoring this gets rid of cross talk the biggest cause of speed drops regardless if you have a great line or not, with Vectoring in place speeds can be boosted beyond 80Mb for example i'm at around 480m from the fibre cab with Vectoring in place it could be possible to get around 90Mb or so compared to the 65Mb i once had before cross talk took a chunk of it away, ( currently at 55Mb )
So VDSL2 isn't as bad as you think it just requires things in place to make it happen sadly as you have seen with the G.INP rollout it's not always going to go smoothly or in great speed, because of the mess that BTO are in with G.INP we may have to wait a lot longer for Vectoring to roll out, not that we knew when that was going to be anyway.        
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@AndyH
Yes I am, it seems stable now, very few errors just lately. None Up, 1 down in 3 days (CRC errors) If I use the Huwei BTO modem, I don't see statistics, but I'll think about swapping back to it.
Thanks for the suggestion.