Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is required for FTTP?

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

What is required for FTTP?

I've currently got BTOR working on the pavement in front of my house. I have a pole and manhole at the side of my gate and they are pulling cable. I went out to ask what it was they were pulling and it is fibre cable so there will be fibre right up to the manhole where the underground cables feed the pole.

Will this be a point from which FTTP could be provided or are the 'feedpoints' different in some other way? My cabinet is about half a mile away and the underground cabling is, as far as I know, about 30 yrs old. Is fibre used to feed a pole, if so it should at the very least mean a big improvement for me I'm hoping.

9 REPLIES 9
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: What is required for FTTP?

The following link gives an idea of the new FTTP network install work.

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2016/06/a-peek-at-the-future-world-of-openreach-fttp/

If the OR engineers are still there ask if they are installing a Distribution Point either in the chamber or on the pole.

For your house they run a cable from the DP to you, drill through the wall and then connect it to an Optical Network Terminator (ONT) alongside a battery backup unit. An Ethernet cable then connects you to your router.

Brian

longedge
Aspiring Pro

"If the OR engineers are still there ask if they are installing a Distribution Point"

I had to go out before I saw this and they'd gone when I came home. Might just see them in the next day or two. What normally happens when they've been working in the area is that my phone line develops a fault so they have to come back anyway Smiley

bmc
Hero

Phone line engineers may not know anything about FTTP network install work.

Another way of trying is to see what the following says.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/index.do

Brian

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The fibre optic cable that was installed might not be anything to do with FTTP - it could be for connecting FTTC cabinets.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

Yes that was one thought that occurred to me, in fact I jokingly asked the workmen if they were going to install a new cabinet outside my house. The only thing against that idea is that they would be going away from all the cabinets (that I know of) in the area although they might also be going further afield I suppose. I'll just have to wait and see what happens Smiley

bmc
Hero

I refer to my earlier posting - what does OpenReach say for your address when you check?

Brian

longedge
Aspiring Pro

Yes, I looked and it says I can get what I'm on at the moment ~ 40/20. I couldn't find anything there about what might be available soon or about works in hand though.

bmc
Hero

If you already have FTTC it's highly unlikely you'd be getting FTTP. OpenReach are not doing a general roll out though there might, just might, be some local justification for putting in FTTP to your location.

Brian

longedge
Aspiring Pro

Well as the manhole is a matter of inches from my property I thought it possible that I might see some sort of benefit Smiley