Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is my line capable of....

keyholder
Grafter

What is my line capable of....

Hi folks..
So when we go and check to see what our line speed is and the btw says " oh its capable of 67Mb down  - 14Mb up (example) "  Yet when we go to register with the ISP of our choice we're told we can only get 40Mb when infact we can see we can get higher speeds..
So whats the actual case regarding our speed.
Why do we get told we can only recieve 40 mb when we are shown we can get higher speeds.
Is there a specific reason for this ?? Do Openreach (OR) only give out 40Mb per line per customer or something similar?
Or is it a simple case of joining Bt and getting and paying loads xtra for the speeds on which they say we can get  Embarrassed
Any ideas or even answears.  Smiley
7 REPLIES 7
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: What is my line capable of....

The availability checker is best site to do to check availability. Enter a phone number rather than a post code though for more specific information. The site will provide the lowers and highest expected speeds.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

My connection suggests that I can go faster, but my speed seems to have fixed at a lower speed as it did a few weeks ago. Is it possible that the port one is connected to settles to some kind of comfortable preset? A few weeks ago my connection was reset by an engineer, the speed slowed (DLM I imagine), then it improved after a PlusNet intervention. It had seemingly failed to increase speed automatically and needed a manual nudge I was told.
From the SAME fixed speed for weeks, as I had a few weeks ago I reckon my particular port needs a squirt of WD40! I hear the argument that its probably the fastest that the connection can go, but its exactly the same speed again, unwavering, and that doesn't seem right to me at all, I'd expect to see variation, always did in the past, I reckon my port sticks at one speed Down, locked in somehow.
keyholder
Grafter

Quote from: plusnettony
The availability checker is best site to do to check availability. Enter a phone number rather than a post code though for more specific information. The site will provide the lowers and highest expected speeds.

I already knew that but thanks anyway...
My main point is " why are we told we can only get 40Mb when the wholesale checker says we can get faster " i.e lets take my connection fr example..
Plusnet say i can only get 40Mb.. however the checker says i can get faster upto 54Mb to be exact.. My current upload speed is actually SLOWER than the impacted range on what the btw sale says ill get. ( we barely get 5Mb )
So why does the wholesale checker say one thing and ISPs say another thing.
keyholder
Grafter

Quote from: danludlow
My connection suggests that I can go faster, but my speed seems to have fixed at a lower speed as it did a few weeks ago. Is it possible that the port one is connected to settles to some kind of comfortable preset? A few weeks ago my connection was reset by an engineer, the speed slowed (DLM I imagine), then it improved after a PlusNet intervention. It had seemingly failed to increase speed automatically and needed a manual nudge I was told.
From the SAME fixed speed for weeks, as I had a few weeks ago I reckon my particular port needs a squirt of WD40! I hear the argument that its probably the fastest that the connection can go, but its exactly the same speed again, unwavering, and that doesn't seem right to me at all, I'd expect to see variation, always did in the past, I reckon my port sticks at one speed Down, locked in somehow.

well I went on the 40Mb /20mb package as thats what i was on before with sky... had i of checked the btw checker before i signed upto Pn i would of asked to be put on the 80/20 package as bt  have done work on my local cabinet and now the speeds have changed for the better.
The only thing ill say ive noticed with my new pn connection over our old sky connection is that... Sky gave me a lower ping into servers ( 23ms) now i get min 36 ping.. . And also we got a constant 38Mb, now we get 31mb at most.
AshPowell
Grafter

Quote from: keyholder
Quote from: plusnettony

I already knew that but thanks anyway...
My main point is " why are we told we can only get 40Mb when the wholesale checker says we can get faster " i.e lets take my connection fr example..
Plusnet say i can only get 40Mb.. however the checker says i can get faster upto 54Mb to be exact.. My current upload speed is actually SLOWER than the impacted range on what the btw sale says ill get. ( we barely get 5Mb )
So why does the wholesale checker say one thing and ISPs say another thing.

Plusnet may be giving you a more accurate measurement where as the bt wholesale checker is giving you a few figures.. 54 being the highest on a clean line..
''For FTTC Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.''
So basically if youre not getting 54 and Plusnet say you can't, your lines probably not clean
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Basically as the low end of the estimate is below 40Mb, we won't offer the faster product in these instances as if we did we could just end up with customers paying for the higher product but only getting the speeds of the lower one.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
keyholder
Grafter

ahh get ya, So its a case of working from a worse case scenario.  Cool,, Now i know Cheesy
Id personally pay more in the chance of knowing that I could get a faster connection and let DLM kick in and do its thing to reduce issues / interferance  to make the connection more stable.

Cheers again.
dick:quote