cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on here

DaveG
Grafter

What is going on here

My connection has been exhibiting this sort of thing a couple of times in the last few weeks. It normally clears by itself but not sure what's causing it. On one occasion it cleared after there was loss of ppp session but there was no loss of sync. Is it a plusnet capacity issue or perhaps congestion at the exchange. Your comments please... My Broadband Ping - Plusnet.
21 REPLIES 21
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: What is going on here

Can't see it being a capacity or  congestion issue at 3am to 8 am.
I would test if renewing the ppp session clears this and if so report it here to see if others have the same issue.
Alternatively, sometime while this heavy packet loss is happening do a BT speed test. It most likely will give a terrible result which you can report as a fault.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
IMO PN are more likely to take notice of the BT speed test than the ping graph.

DaveG
Grafter

That's the odd thing - speed test aren't too bad.

The bt test comes back at 34Mb which isn't too bad for my 40Mb profile.

I did have a fault a couple of months ago where my line was suffering with 60 to 70% packet loss but as it took support 2 days to have a look at it the problem disappeared so what ever caused it was never identified.

During that time speed test were sub 1Mb!!!

Edit - just found the graph from the last time. My Broadband Ping - Plusnet
npr
Pro

Could it be your router playing up?

Could try power cycling it.

DaveG
Grafter

I tried that during the last couple of episodes but it didn't make any difference at all.

I seem to remember I also tried rebooting the bt modem on one occasion and that didn't fix it either.

It just seems to correct itself without any input from me.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That's the odd thing - speed test aren't too bad.

Is there actual packet loss occurring or is it just showing it on the graph?

If you're using the connection while this happens what symptoms are you seeing?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
DaveG
Grafter

What made me look at the graph in the first place was a few web sites taking a long time to display. I do get the odd 'web site not found' but i would have thought that was more a DNS problem because a click of refresh brings the site up. There were no devices active last night after about 10:30 but there was no change in the graph until midnight Something happened at around 8 this morning. My Broadband Ping - Plusnet After the big spike in dropped packets at around 8 it seems to have cleared. The spike in latency was me running a BT speed test. There was no resync or loss of session according to the router.

npr
Pro

If you're running a BT modem, the router may not see a re sync. Often it happens in under 20 seconds and the router keeps the same ppp connection -- same IP address.
A PN radius graph would confirm whether the vdsl connection is stable or not.

It may appear as a dns issue at low packet loss levels, dns uses UDP which is more susceptible to packet loss than TCP.

DaveG
Grafter

I am using a BT modem (ECI - still locked).

I am on a static IP so there is never a change there.

You may be right about the resync but there has been no change in the BT profile (unless of course it resync'ed at a rate that gives the same profile))

The radius graph would be interesting - the last time I remember powering down the modem was about 3 weeks ago and I rebooted the router about 2 weeks ago when I was trying to sort the same sort of problem out then.

mushroommrs
Grafter

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6bff813bbfff31ceed0a49bd46139d60-21-04-2016.html

Something happening here too!  Been like it on an off for a few weeks and getting worse.....

DaveG
Grafter

Oooh that is not very nice.

I'm convinced there are problems somewhere in the plusnet system.

Could it be something to do with this new network i keep hearing about?

Does yours settle down eventually without doing anything?

mushroommrs
Grafter

It's been steadily getting worse for around 3 weeks. Happens at different times of the day. This is the 19th ttp://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/d39cc4e40a3ca870fb15ed0a7548d50c-19-04-2016.html
This is a new fibre connection, village only went on in December and was very steady for around 12 weeks.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@DaveG wrote:

Could it be something to do with this new network i keep hearing about?

Doubt it. Neither of you have been migrated yet.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

npr
Pro

@Bob,

Could it be a result of issues with BT's ECI cabinet G.INP rollout.?

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17446.0.html

DaveG
Grafter

I don't think so, this problem started before the g.inp rollout.

The problem is it comes and goes randomly so i suspect it will never be fully diagnosed.

Today the packet loss has gone but despite there being no active devices in the house for the last 6 hours there is a lot of big yellow spikes in the latency.

As long as it doesn't get like it did a few months ago (see graph above!) again I can live with it.

Since g.inp was applied to the line my latency has dropped and i have gained about 5Mb on my bt profile so for me it has been a definite improvement.