cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What have you done to my connection?

gwillym
Grafter

What have you done to my connection?

for absoltuely ages - months if not years I had a rock steaddy connection on 78Mb fibre running at over 55Mbps - excellent.

I downgraded my broadband to the 38Mbps offering (I don't need the super bandwidth anymore) and it has not been the most positive expereince. I'm getting connection errors & time outs on just about any website.

I'm testing the line about twice per day - here's the latest:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=146436007427977017207

But they are all pretty much the same - they make aperfect yoyo - any idea why this connection doesn't seem t be stable any more?

thanks in advance

Neil

5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: What have you done to my connection?

Your line is looking stable:

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps

Sync rates look fine, no issues detected.

Are you wired/wireless?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gwillym
Grafter

Yes, its always been wireless - the only thing that has changed in months is the downgrade

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

You need to run a wired test. Things might have changed. Not that long ago I was having problems with disconnects, time outs etc on my PC. All the wired speedtests seem to show the same with not much difference between them. The TBB BQM that I run showed no obvious problems. The USB WiFi dongle also seemed to be OK (less than 6 months old and running cool etc) but I decided to treat myself to an internal WiFi card

Best move I ever made. Haven't had any disconnects whatsoever since and the icing on the cake? A 7mb/s increase over my previous TBB tests

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You say nothings changed, but if you're on wireless many environmental factors can cause issues such as other wireless connections, interference from electronic devices etc.

If the connection is still poor over a wired connection please let us know.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gwillym
Grafter

I disconnected & reconnected at the weekend and now - all seems to be fine.

thanks

Neil